Birchwood Challenger 320

Sgroves

Visit site
I'm in the process (survey stage) of buying a 1993-4 Birchwood challenger 320, fitted with twin 180hp Mercruiser engines and legs, if anyone has any knowledge of fuel consumption etc, and experience, good or bad, of this marque, i'd be grateful to hear about it.

Steve

<hr width=100% size=1>

tr7v8

Visit site
The Merc diesels are actually based on VM diesels which are Italian. They have a reputation for being expensive for some spares and being intolerant of neglect. But generally seem quite reliable, the original Range Rover diesel used these.
The legs are subject to all the normal problems that these things suffer from such as damaged seals and water getting inside. But most of these issues can be resolved with a good service.

<hr width=100% size=1>Jim

Draco 2500

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Try and use the Merc engines as a negotiating point. Although as good as any other engine, I'm sure, they are not popular in Europe and I found when I was boat buying that the Merc fitted boats were on offer 10%'ish less than Volvo and not selling.
David

<hr width=100% size=1>

NorthernWave

Visit site
I have a Birchwood with the BMW units also based on the VM engines and have found cost of parts to be very, very cheap especially compared to the likes of Volvo. Also I have found them to be very economical even on a 40 footer so I think you might be pleasantly surprised.
One thing I will say is look check the cooling system is clean and the engines are running cool.

Chris

<hr width=100% size=1>Logged Sea Miles wanted for masters. Send PM if your on south coast and want skipper or crew.

miket

Visit site
I looked at these at the boat show at the time. Liked the layout.
Thought the interior timber work was a bit flimsy, but then they were a bit cheaper than the alternatives.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

I had a birchwood TS 34 with the volvo AQD 41`s Met several people with the Merc engines and none ever mentioned any major problems.The hull I believe is the same as the old TS 34 & SD34 with the flaired bow etc which gives a very dry ride if not somewhat bumpy in a chop. Like any engine if it has been looked after and you continue same I am sure you will endure very few problems. Once you have owned a Birchwood you always have a soft spot for them as I do. My old one is up for grabs at Penton Hook now! Good Luck!

<hr width=100% size=1>