Birchwood 25 throttle question.

Tomsdad

Visit site
Hi everyone first post on here. I have bought a Birchwood 25. It has a Ford Watermota engine. I am working through the boat getting everything working before turning to the gelcoat and detailing. My question is about the throttle. To the left of the drivers seat is the standard 2 lever set up. Throttle and gear change. Now please bear with me this is my first boat. You push the throttle lever forward and it revs up. You pull the throttle lever back and it returns to tick over. But it’s not like that. You can pull the throttle back to tickover and if you accidentally continue to pull it back it revels up again. Surely there should be a mechanical stop that won’t let it pull back further than tickover? My thoughts are that the lever box has worn (50years old).
Apologies if this is a really daft question.

harvey38

Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

A photo of the throttle set up would be helpful.

The throttle is set up correctly, when reverse is selected, you use bring the throttle lever towards you, the revs should increase as the throttle lever comes closer to you.

It's easier on the brain moving the lever in the direction of travel, you'll soon get accustomed to it.

Photos are always welcome here👍

Tomsdad

Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I’m at the boat again Tuesday so can take pictures. But from what you say it is set up correctly.
Wow. So I need to get used to forward gear, push throttle away from me to increase revs and in reverse pull it toward me to increase revs.

Tomsdad

Visit site
So to close this thread I have a picture of the throttle/gear control. Black lever to change gear and red for throttle. Further down the track I’d like to consider converting to a single lever system.

Attachments

• IMG_1216.jpeg
    IMG_1216.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4

scottie

Visit site
So to close this thread I have a picture of the throttle/gear control. Black lever to change gear and red for throttle. Further down the track I’d like to consider converting to a single lever system.
Not possible to get a single lever setup with the watermota JType gearbox because of the loads on engagement
I would suggest looking to see if throttle could be adjusted to prevent movement going over centre
It is possible that it was originally set up to avoid it

scottie

Visit site
Hi everyone first post on here. I have bought a Birchwood 25. It has a Ford Watermota engine. I am working through the boat getting everything working before turning to the gelcoat and detailing. My question is about the throttle. To the left of the drivers seat is the standard 2 lever set up. Throttle and gear change. Now please bear with me this is my first boat. You push the throttle lever forward and it revs up. You pull the throttle lever back and it returns to tick over. But it’s not like that. You can pull the throttle back to tickover and if you accidentally continue to pull it back it revels up again. Surely there should be a mechanical stop that won’t let it pull back further than tickover? My thoughts are that the lever box has worn (50years old).
This sounds like a low speed boat principally used on river or canal

Big John

Visit site
The throttle control in the cockpit push cable connects to the Throttle Control Lever and spindle. There is a stop to control slow running. It is almost imposible to get the lever to operate by pushing the cockpit lever forward or backwards. Unless there is serious bad adjustments made by some one who does not understand the working.

1717608376083.pngThe