Binoculars

John 32i

Visit site
I have just bought a pair of Konus Tornado 7 x 50, waterproof, they float and have a compass, based on good reviews. Not used much as yet but initially they seem pretty good, although probably slightly heavier than I expected (problem with buying online!)

johnalison

Visit site
There's no substitute for trying them out yourself. How they feel, and the shape of the eyepieces plus the amount of eye relief can make a great difference to one's enjoyment of them.

seumask

Visit site
Despite much fanfare about yachting binoculars being 7x50's I found i still use my very good birding Zeiss 10x42's a lot when sailing. They are waterproof and while a little harder to steady I've always enjoyed the higher power magnification, often at anchor or walking ashore to see whats going on, and what the birds are up to. I would agree that on a wet and windy night a pair of waterproof 7x50's would be better so I carry a cheap pair of those as well.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
Despite much fanfare about yachting binoculars being 7x50's I found i still use my very good birding Zeiss 10x42's a lot when sailing. They are waterproof and while a little harder to steady I've always enjoyed the higher power magnification, often at anchor or walking ashore to see whats going on, and what the birds are up to. I would agree that on a wet and windy night a pair of waterproof 7x50's would be better so I carry a cheap pair of those as well.

For many years I have been carrying my birding binoculars on a short home-made pole (not a mono-pod) to assist holding them steady with hands well-separated. And I took the pole sailing too. Visible in this photo: Bins-on-pole.

Mike.

Skylark

Visit site
I was given a pair of 10x42 Swarovski in pretty tatty condition. I sent them to the factory for refurb, costing a bit less than £250. I thought that they had sent me a brand new pair in return, such was the quality of the refurb. They have absolutely amazing daylight to twilight vision and clarity.

Eyewateringly expensive to buy new but they are better than any others I've used, including Steiner.

They have the added benefit that you can pretend to be a Countryfile presenter or a rather well to do bird watcher :unsure:

Humblebee

Visit site
There's no substitute for trying them out yourself. How they feel, and the shape of the eyepieces plus the amount of eye relief can make a great difference to one's enjoyment of them.

I agree with John. Our eyes are unique to us and what suits one person may not suit another. Try a few pairs before making up your mind.

[3889]

Visit site
I'm in a similar situation to the OP andso far have narrowed my choice down to Bushnellsand Binolyt Searanger II. Any opinions on these? I have a pair of cheapo Plastimo which are functional but have a pretty dim image.
Luminosity is more important than weight, feel etc. I'm not going to fork out for Steiners so wonder if if I'll notice significant advantages in the £200 models. Is there a means of comparing image luminosity from manufacturers' data?

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
I have a pair of these: Nautik-Fernglas BN 7x50 DCM | MINOX

They are great to use, light and everything I've wanted. I'll happily acknowledge that the Steiner bins are great but not great enough to make the difference in price, although I might one day be tempted to get a pair of Leica Noctivid 8x42s as they are fab.
I've got the Minox too, and would second the recommendation. I didn't think the Steiner were that much better either...

Praxinoscope

Visit site
I agree with John. Our eyes are unique to us and what suits one person may not suit another. Try a few pairs before making up your mind.

I fully agree, try as many options as possible, but I would still stick with 7x50 for marine use, best performance in low light conditions being just one of the advantages.
Modern high index glass prisms and optics mean that modern 7x50's are smaller and more compact than the older traditional models.

crewman

Visit site
I'm in a similar situation to the OP andso far have narrowed my choice down to Bushnellsand Binolyt Searanger II. Any opinions on these? I have a pair of cheapo Plastimo which are functional but have a pretty dim image.
Luminosity is more important than weight, feel etc. I'm not going to fork out for Steiners so wonder if if I'll notice significant advantages in the £200 models. Is there a means of comparing image luminosity from manufacturers' data?
I have the Searanger III. I find them sharp and easy to hold steady. The compass is a good size and is easy to read. I would buy another pair if I lost them. They are fairly heavy.

DaiB

Visit site
My experience with Steiner and their warranty was not good. Personally I would not but anything from them again.

Frank Holden

Visit site
My boat bins are the Fujinon 7 x 50 FMTR-SX ..... not cheap... but as good as Zeiss for a lot less than Zeiss. They are rather big.....
For compact look at the Nikon 8x42 or 10 x 42 Monarch 5... I use the 10 x 42s afloat and ashore ... brilliant unless its dark and a heavy sea is running...

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
My boat bins are the Fujinon 7 x 50 FMTR-SX ..... not cheap... but as good as Zeiss for a lot less than Zeiss. They are rather big.....
For compact look at the Nikon 8x42 or 10 x 42 Monarch 5... I use the 10 x 42s afloat and ashore ... brilliant unless its dark and a heavy sea is running...
I missed a pair of those Fujinons on Gumtree last year. £25, being sold by a charity shop. I begged them to take £100 from me but, commendably, they stood by the first buyer.

Kola

Visit site
Using a pair ofTalamex 7x50 Nitrogen filled, with lighted compass - Bak-4, find them quite good.