Bimini tube end cap fixing

SimonNZ

Visit site
The grub screws that secure bimini frame tube end caps eventually degrade and are difficult to tighten (or remove!).

What do experienced people do about those? Just buy new ones periodically? Drill through and use a stainless bolt instead? These are semipermanent end caps, not sliding adjustable pivots.

The bolt approach seems more secure but ugly: I guess there are ways to tidy it up.

I'd be really interested to know what others do!

SimonNZ

Visit site
That's an elegant solution. Did you over-drill the existing thread for the grub screw and, through the other end, then tap all the way though sides at the same time? What size drill did you use?

Daverw

Visit site
I cannot remember the exact size but would likely to have been m5 as this would clear the grub screw hole, I only drilled one side so as to pull the internal tube tight. Used good sharp drills though

ctva

Visit site
If the frame and grub screws are A4 stainless and still degrading, is there another issue? I have M3-M5 grub screws which have had no issues for about 8 years.

Over tightening / worn or incorrect hex key? I use threadlock as they do not need to be overly tight.