Bill's Burgee

Gargleblaster

Visit site
Bill\'s Burgee

We make a feature of the fact that Bill Churchouse presented a Jester Challenge Burgee to the new Peter at Cafe Sport in Horta. I was very disappointed to not find it after an expensive search amongst all the burgees there last week. I even asked the new Peter where it was but he had no memory of the presentation, photo or the burgee itself.

I have never like Horta or Cafe Sport as I find both crowded noisy and full of yobos [and the food was half cold when it arrived]. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to go to Praia where I am sure the Jester Challenge is remembered in both the Marina and several restaurants, and particularly Tropical Point.

helixkimara

Visit site
Re: Bill\'s Burgee

Weird ! On Bills photo’s he’s sitting under the Jester burgee and another photo handing it to a bloke called “ Jose” I recon that the “Jester burgee” is so sort after that someone’s nicked it and its in a jewellery box in someone’s safe. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Lee_Shaw

Visit site

Or the subject of a recent flurry of activity on the yachting memorabilia black market, a really stocky Russian guy, wearing a pair of imitation Rayban £0.99 <span style="color:red">Hong Kong </span> buy-it-now sunglasses, was auctioning a "nearly new" Jester challenge burgee on ebay the other week.

Jake

N/A
www.jkcartoons.co.uk

I thought they would be valuable!

It took some pre-recession arm twisting to get them, the artwork went south, the colours got mixed up, and in the end the budget stretched to just 70. As such, they were really only intended for the actual starters of the Challenge, but quite a few have since gone astray (Boats AND flags) So I'm not surprised a coveted burgee has fallen into the hands of the Russian mob (sigh).

I am sure that the very savvy Richard Shead of IPC Marine Marketing (a man of sound judgement) will take one look at the entry list for 2010, and realise that this is a bit of a roller coaster, so needs some more (unofficial) support!

As it is, there won't be enough burgees to go round!

Better check eBay....

Lee_Shaw

Visit site

They're highly regarded pieces of kit, I have to confess to storing mine in a cool, dry place, out of direct sunlight.

I was in Cannes recently and it was the must-have accessory, apparently Scarlett Johansson has a thong version. Tilda Swinton was wearing a funky "Junk in da trunk" green Betsey Johnson number, clearly inspired by the challenge burgee.