Bilge pump/float switch not working

Crinan12

Visit site
Hi folks
My rule bilge pump doesn't work. It is connected to a float switch and to the battery. There is a fuse just before the battery. They are both quite new and used to work. All the connections are okay.
Is there anything I can check before I buy new ones?
They were not expensive but I'd rather fix if possible.

I have a multimeter - but I don't have the foggiest idea of how to use it other than to check my battery voltage, which I am actually quite proud off.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Attachments

• Resizer_16128201610180.jpg
    Resizer_16128201610180.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 28

Talmine

Visit site
Hi folks
My rule bilge pump doesn't work. It is connected to a float switch and to the battery. There is a fuse just before the battery. They are both quite new and used to work. All the connections are okay.
Is there anything I can check before I buy new ones?
They were not expensive but I'd rather fix if possible.

I have a multimeter - but I don't have the foggiest idea of how to use it other than to check my battery voltage, which I am actually quite proud off.

Any ideas?

Thanks
I'd be inclined to try bypassing the float switch then if pump works you'll know its a switch problem

Crinan12

Visit site
Thanks talmine
It turns out it was the fuse
I thought if the bit of wire in a glass fuse was not broken then the fuse was good
But when I put a normal fuse in it (the kind in a house plug) it works fine

I'm assuming there is a reason you can't use standard fuses so I'll get some more glass ones

Cheers

septiclecky

Visit site
Thanks talmine
I thought if the bit of wire in a glass fuse was not broken then the fuse was good

I'm assuming there is a reason you can't use standard fuses so I'll get some more glass ones

Cheers

Sometimes the fuse has gone but you can't see it as it blown behind the metal caps

VicS

Visit site
Thanks talmine

Cheers

The domestic fuse may not be the correct rating and I am surprised it is the correct length for the holder
1, fit the correct value fuse .... if in doubt find your pump on this page Rule Bilge Pumps / Rule Submersible Pumps & Accessories / Pumps / Marine / Xylem JabscoShop - Jabsco & Rule Pumps and more - from the experts and look up the recommended fuse rating under "Details"

2. Learn how to use your multimeter .... in particular how to check fuses

3. Consider a better type of fuse holder

Crinan12

Visit site
Thanks folks
Yeah I tried 2 x 2.5amp glass fuses. They must both be gubbed because my 3amp plug socket type one works fine

I know I am going to try and learn about the multimeter, looks like the most complicated thing in the world with lots of squiggles and letters and numbers..

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
Thanks folks
Yeah I tried 2 x 2.5amp glass fuses. They must both be gubbed because my 3amp plug socket type one works fine
I’m pretty sure all my Rule pumps have had 5a fuses, 2.5a sounds a bit light. Check specs, easy enough to find with a search.

madabouttheboat

Visit site
Why would you not use the fuse recommended .... ( for Rule pumps it ranges from 2.5 amps to 20 amps)

Quite simply, that's always been the fuse size recommended for all of my bilge pumps, so my statement that I would use a 5A fuse is not wrong. If I had recommended to someone else to use a 5A fuse, well that would clearly have been unforgivable :D