Bilge Pump Alarm

G

I want to fit a loud alarm to my automatic electric bilge pump, such that I will be aware from the cockpit (over engine noise) if it operates while I am underway. My boat is normally VERY dry, but I've read too many horror stories of discovering a boat has become sluggish because water is already over the floorboards.
I am looking for a cheap 12-15V unit that I can put in parallel with the existing pump indicator light (with maybe a threeway switch to test and deactivate it). I have tried various sources - found a large siren in a radio parts shop for about £25 - seemed a lot and unsuitable.
Any suggestions? Could I maybe use a 9V unit from a defunct smoke detector? Any reason why even the better automatic bilge pumps aren't equipped with an audible alarm?

gunnarsilins

www.eilean.se
Any bigger electronics supplier should be able to deliver a piezo summer for a few pounds, normally used in burglar alarms etc.
When I fitted an alarm for oil pressure and water temperature I had one of these instead of buying one from VDO for more than 10 times the price.
Mine was not watertight, so I fitted it inside a vent box and it can now be heard both below and above decks.

andyball

Visit site
Maplin ,amongst others, used to sell a range of "weatherproof" sirens/buzzers......very loud,and certainly less than £25

johnsomerhausen

Visit site
Simply wire a 12 V piezo buzzer in parallel with your pump power cable. They're inexpensive and loud enough. I get mine from "Radio Shack" here in the US but I assume that in the UK, it would be Maplins or similar
john.

J_Priedkalns

Visit site
Use a regular battery operated smoke alarm, solder a couple of wires of suitable length to each side of the smoke sensor and install the loose ends of this wire to the maximum level of water acceptable in the bilge and spaced about 5-10mm apart. Now, you not only have a very loud bilge alarm but also a smoke alarm!