Bilge Keels

tonybennison

Visit site
I have a 19 feet Prelude drop keel yacht, as the cheapest moorings near my home dry out at low tide i have fitted legs to keep her upright and which have to be removed and replaced each time i go out.

As a novice ( my second season ) this winter i would like to have twin keels fitted to enable me to walk about on her at low tide, for maintenance etc, is this possible on a drop keel and if so how expensive.

Any help would be appreciated at tonybennison@eurobell.co.uk

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mudplugger

Visit site
Long time ago had similar problems with a Bradwell 18 in our delightful east coast mud... Put two bilge plates made of 3/8'' steel shaped to fit hull just aft of point of balance, with a 4'' flange and thru bolted every 4'' each side. Cut two holes in each either side of a 4'' vertical with about a 3'' edge.... Worked brilliantly and did not cost a lot of dosh. Made the boat sail better as well....

<hr width=100% size=1>Tony W.

Rob_Webb

Visit site
Not totally clear what you want to achieve here but if it is a level boat when dried out can you not simply keep the keel raised when you leave the boat so she settles onto the mud directly onto her hull? Assuming you have no obstacles in the mud around you a lifting keeler is usually ok to dry out onto soft stuff with the keel raised to keep her level - not sure why you need legs unless the keel is jammed down?

If I understand rightly, you are considering converting from a lifting centreboard to twin keels (bilges) - this is a major mod and, frankly, not something I've ever heard done - it's a non-trivial thing and would involve changing the dynamics of the boat to something it wasn't designed for. So I would advise against this, it's really not practical (or probably cost effective). If you really do have a desparate need for twin bilge keels rather than a centre keel then you are best switching boat than trying to retro-fit them. IMHO.

Rob

<hr width=100% size=1>

graham

Visit site
I have seen it done on a few different boats eg Seamaster dropkeel and Itchen Ferry Long keel.

You need considerable strengthening glassed in internally to bolt the keels to.

This usually involves plywood or wood "keel floors"laminated or sawn to fit the hull running from down near the center line to up past the waterline ,Strips about 3 inches wide heavilly glassed in.

The flanges on the keels need to be accurately drilled so a pair of bolts go through each of the stiffening floors.

Insufficient strengthening could result in a keel being pushed up through the hull if you ground on something hard also the considerable flexing of the keels as she dries/refloats each tide would damage the hull.

Have you considered selling your boat and buying a bilge keel prelude.?They sail very well and are designed for what you describe.
I know someone who sailed a bilge keel prelude from South Wales to Southern Ireland .They are excellent little boats.

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldharry

Visit site
The simple answer is -sell up and buy a bilge keeler. It is possible to convert to bilge keels, but you risk a) spoiling the sailing performance and balance of your boat, b) reducing the re-sale value, c) terminal hull damage if you do not put in sufficient stregthening. Guess work here is not good enough, you need a boat builder or Marine Architect to tell you what needs doing, and d) rendering your boat uninsureable because of an unauthorised hull modification.

The cost of changing to bilge keeler will be far less than the cost of getting keels fitted properly and safely.

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Stick with the drop keel and use the legs. This is probably the most versatile combination that you are likely to see. Sailing performance should be better than with bilge keels and you can get into very shallow waters. What's the problem with the legs? It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to remove them.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Many long-keelers and lift-keel boats with stubs have been converted with simple steel plates bolted through stiffening internally.

I would suggest a chat with a 'yard' guy about this and it should be possible to pick up some secondhand bilge plates from a yard etc.

BUT make sure the internal strengthening is done well ..... that is where a boat builder comes in ....... so may prove costly.

<hr width=100% size=1>Nigel ...
Bilge Keelers get up further ! I only came - cos they said there was FREE Guinness !