Big Wave pics

graham

Visit site
American lifeboat crew training.
Lifeboat1.jpg

Lifeboat3.jpg

sb99

Visit site
Conditions look similar to those we experienced on our first trip over to Watchet. Well thats what SWMBO insists /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Brave?...or stupid?

If you find the whole sequence, it looks like a reef is exposed not far astern. I don't know the story, but I wouldn't be surprised if they caught out by the severity of the waves. Not even gung-ho US CG's are likely to take that kind of risk surely? And there are guys on the fricking bridgedeck FFS!

graham

Visit site
I think its a place where a river flows into the open sea causing the big breaking waves .The USCG deliberately use the place for training. Boat would be OK iD be surprised if a few of the crew didnt suffer a few injuries though.

Icelander18

Visit site
I agree, and brown pants!
Like you say Damo, the only reason for me is that they had no choice but to go for it. Mind you, whenever you catch the right picture of a boat in action it always looks worse or more extreme than you thought at the time, well some I have been on do anyway, but none like this.

Mike_S

Visit site
Yup, Morro Bay. Visited a few years back when we drove the coast highway from LA to San Francisco. On a calm day and there was still pretty impressive surf, mid week and the surfers were out in force. Nice little harbour as well, complete with seal lions under the pontoons of a restaurant.