Beware - Ocean Safety danbuoy

thealoi

Visit site
Bought the Offshore version of the Ocean Safety danbuoy, but it is impossible to fit it to the boat. They do not sell a bracket, and when contacted, suggested using a piece of drain pipe. As the weight is 60mm wide, no readily available pipe is to be found. Only solution is custom made bracket at vast expense. The danbuoy is going back to the chandlers for a Plastimo version.

DON'T BUY!

D

Deleted member 36384

I have plastic drainpipe serving this purpose. Quite fetching don't you think?

Is yours the Offshore version of the Ocean safety Danbuoy?

thealoi on another boat I used a larger diameter drain pipe, which is not fetching, but with a double forked pin through the drain pipe that the danbuoy sat on. It was mounted just outside the pushpit and on the quarter corner as opposed to the stern. I just pull the pin and the whole lot dropped into the sea.

My own boat, which is a centre cockpit, its clipped outside the guardrails to the wind generator pole stay. Its not as good as the drain pipe but its ready to go and stowed out the way.

Ceejay

Visit site
Is yours the Offshore version of the Ocean safety Danbuoy?

I think it's an XM Coastal danbuoy.
I couldn't see the system that you have working for me, as some charterers seem to have an urge to see things in action, and the release pin would be pulled just to see what happens!...:)

CJ

thealoi

Visit site
It is the offshore version. I don't know if they have changed the specification, but the weight at the bottom of the pole is 60mm wide, plus height of screw head holding it in place. I have been unable to find any uPVC pipe of this diameter. The only ones of this size are normal PVC soil pipes which will rot in a year or two in the sunshine. The "coastal" version is not a problem as the weight is smaller and looks as if it will fit a standard 40mm drainpipe, but the "offshore" one has a heavier weight to compensate for the extra height. If anyone knows where to find a suitable pipe, please let me know.

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
Bought the Offshore version of the Ocean Safety danbuoy, but it is impossible to fit it to the boat. They do not sell a bracket, and when contacted, suggested using a piece of drain pipe. As the weight is 60mm wide, no readily available pipe is to be found. Only solution is custom made bracket at vast expense. The danbuoy is going back to the chandlers for a Plastimo version.

DON'T BUY!

Oh please! Impossible? Really?:confused:

So because you can't find a bit of drain pipe to fit yours, we shouldn't buy one?

Funny how I went to the local hardware store in Gosport and was able to find a bit of drain pipe to fit within 30 seconds of asking the bloke behind the counter.

Why buy a bracket, when a £4 bit of piping will work? and has worked:

_P3P7915.jpg

In fact I have half the pip.......sorry "very special tailor-made Danbuoy holder" in my roof, in the finest black cylindrical plastic your money can buy....to you sir £29.99:D

Mark-1

Visit site
In fact I have half the pip.......sorry "very special tailor-made Danbuoy holder" in my roof, in the finest black cylindrical plastic your money can buy....to you sir £29.99:D

If you draw a Musto logo on it I'll give you £60 for it!

Martin_J

Visit site
Whilst on the subject of Ocean Safety Danbuoys...

Has anyone been able to get them to last more than a couple of years? Sun damage seems to affect mine and the top and bottom sections seem to just fall to pieces.. or do we just get too much sun in Portsmouth!

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
I made s/s brackets for the 50mm tube which holds my Plastimo DB.
Simple to make if you have a small grinder and drill.
Sorry about my drawing skills but this drawing might be of help.
C_W

Danbouytubebracket.jpg

tcm

Visit site
Yeah, but the plastimo version (which is better) isn't that much kop. The metal bracket rusts, and the actual light on the top is merely push-in with easy-to-snap plastic spigot. I altered it to make the lightbulb screw-in with grub screw, and mounted the whole thing so now it's attached with rolling hitch and double highwaymans to make it a single pull to launch. Obviously the whole thing should be kept fully extended whilst anywhere you might use it (ie probably not short daysail) AND you gotta keep it indoors whilst away from the boat cos it is quite badly affected buy sunlight.

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
Yeah, but the plastimo version (which is better) isn't that much kop. The metal bracket rusts, and the actual light on the top is merely push-in with easy-to-snap plastic spigot. I altered it to make the lightbulb screw-in with grub screw, and mounted the whole thing so now it's attached with rolling hitch and double highwaymans to make it a single pull to launch. Obviously the whole thing should be kept fully extended whilst anywhere you might use it (ie probably not short daysail) AND you gotta keep it indoors whilst away from the boat cos it is quite badly affected buy sunlight.

Mine came with a canvas cover when I bought it in mint condition from someone on this forum aprox 3-4yrs ago, and (maybe because of the cover or lack of sun up this way) it is still in mint condition.
I dont have a light as I have only sailed once at night since I bought it, but I am sure it wouldent be a big job to fit a strobe light to it if I wanted to.
C_W

thealoi

Visit site
Update

Well I finally found 68 mm downpipe. I thought all would be well.

Oh no. The screws holding the lead weight at the bottom protrube, so it is impossible to fit the danbuoy into the tube. Removed the screws, drilled out the lead weight to accept a countersunk screw head, and replaced the screws. It now fits (just).

BUT the only way to hold the tube to the guardrail is with a giant jubilee clip. Managed to buy two expensive clips from chandlers, and the whole setup now works. NB where the jubilee clips are fitted the danbuoy "scrapes" past, i.e. it is not an easy launch.

Now, because the guardrail is taller than the bottom half of the danbuoy, the float rests on the top of the tube. Wear and tear, especially when we do the ARC. I will protect it with a sacrificial rag/cloth, but the whole thing is naff.

AVOID Ocean Safety Danbuoy!