Beta 14 - Water Drip on starboard side

DangerousPirate

Visit site
Hi,
the last few times I have been sailing, the engine bay ended up being underwater. This then also ends up filling the bilge under the floorboards.
I could trace it to a drip, when the engine is under load. It is located on the left side, behind all the filters and lines, I can't put my head there, heck, I can't even feel with my hand properly. Not sure what the possible causes could be.

screenshot-20230527-182329.png

If anyone familiar with beta 14 engines has an idea where he leak could be coming from, please let me know what I need to check out. And if anyone with a barely accessible engine bay has some tips and tricks, let me know. Because I am no sure where the water could be coming from and the endoscopic camera, which hs been ordered right away, is on its way.
The drip can accumulate to quite a lot of water. With 5 hours of motoring, the whole thing was flodded, and I am not 100% sure if it also drips without the engine running, because the bay also has some water in it sometimes (but that could be a separate issue with rain water.
Pretty sure it's saltwater btw. But not 100% sure. Have to put a glass under later and test it, but it should be the seawater cooling system somewhere. Although the elbow is not located near the drip.

mullet

Visit site
I’ve a 14 but am not well enough acquainted with every bit of it to know where that leak might be coming from. But AFAIK the only part of the raw water system on s/b side of the engine is the water pump - and that’s on the forward end of the motor if it is mounted as most are with alternator forward, driveshaft astern. I’d be looking at the water pump shaft which presumably has a seal. Not sure where it would drain to if it leaked.

Do you use Facebook? People in “Beta Marine Owners’ Group” are very helpful, as are Beta (but who are closed on bank holiday weekends…).

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
As Mullet says, the only bit of the cooling system on starboard is the water pump so check that. The cooling water travels along the top of the engine in a metal pipe. I guess if that were leaking the water may end up running down the side of the engine and end up roughly where the video shows. If you are not having to top up the fresh water then it must be from the sea water pump, pipes or heat exchanger.

penfold

Visit site
I presume you're filming with your phone; maybe try repeating the process over the top of the engine with it running, but move the phone slower as this will reduce the blurring. I do this, but even done slowly I often have to repeat the exercise several times before I get to clearly see what I'm aiming at.

Tranona

Visit site
Sounds like it is coming out of the "witness" hole of the water pump indicating the seal has failed. Although the pump body and face plate are on the front, behind that is a housing enclosing the shaft the drives the pump. In the housing there are 2 seals, one to keep the engine oil from coming into the pump and the other, just behind the pump that stops the water going back to the engine. Between the 2 there is a gap on the shaft which coincides with a hole in the housing. When the front seal fails the water drips (and then runs!) out of the hole and into the bilge.

Almost certain that is the source as there is nothing else with seawater in that side of the engine. Solution - remove the pump and replace the seals plus probably the bearing.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
My money's on Tranona's suggestion.

Another one to consider is whether your raw cooling water anti-syphon valve is in the vicinity of that side of the engine. I once had an issue where such a valve started leaking and spitting water. Easily sorted - dismantle the simple valve and rinse out the salt crystals that were preventing the flap fully closing - but it took a while to realise what was going on.

VicS

Visit site
Almost certain that is the source as there is nothing else with seawater in that side of the engine. Solution - remove the pump and replace the seals plus probably the bearing.
Also inspect the shaft for wear where in runs in the seals.

DangerousPirate

Visit site
I presume you're filming with your phone; maybe try repeating the process over the top of the engine with it running, but move the phone slower as this will reduce the blurring. I do this, but even done slowly I often have to repeat the exercise several times before I get to clearly see what I'm aiming at.
I am getting a snake cam soon, it'll be a useful tool.

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
That may well be the right pump but it's not the view you'll get of it.
It's the brass plate, middle left of the engine in the photo. Yours could be a slightly different face plate but the operation and tell tale holes are the same.
You can also see the metal pipe (that I mentioned in my previous post) rising vertically from the pump that takes the water along the top of the engine.
2004-12-11-P1010213.JPG

Pye_End

Visit site
No. The salt water pump with a rubber impeller inside.

That pump you illustrate is the engine cooling pump which runs in the sealed cooling system of the engine only.
The photo has both, but the brass coloured pump IS the raw water pump.

Half way down the sceen may not be half way down the photo.

Pye_End

Visit site