Best wet weather gear?

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Am I the only one who thinks gore-tex is a pile of poo? After a short while it leaks. Doesn't matter what it is incorporated in, oilskins, shoes, boots etc. The patent reproofing wash doesn't work either.
Mine are still dry as a bone after 10 years constant use. Reproofed every year.

I was a huge sceptic of them when they first arrived on the scene. A Canadian instructor lent me his jacket for a day at Plas y Brenin during a Mountain Leadership course on a very, very wet cold day in December. The difference to my kit was mind blowing. I was dry and warm during a hard day on the hill.

michael_w

Visit site
Walking about is one thing 12 hours spent sitting in a puddle is another. It sort of works for jackets, but fails miserably for trousers IMHO.

HughClayton

Visit site
Zhik gear is also worth looking at. When I replaced my Musto foulies four years ago I went with Zhik and haven’t regretted it.

The other point I’d make is that breathable waterproofs make a huge difference and the quality of the fabric is what you pay for. Using a tech wash and re proofing solution makes a big difference. The Nikwax tech wash and TX Direct system works well and, whilst not cheap, is much cheaper than new clothing.

Rappey

Visit site
I have this simpson lawrence jacket, made in scotland, at least 30 years old and is the only waterproof one i have even though i have 5 other various brands.
My go to for nasty weather is the fladden. Warmest, totally waterproof, proper lightweight immersion suit and cheap (ish)

Attachments

• 20231108_142358.jpg
    20231108_142358.jpg
    563.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20231108_142102.jpg
    20231108_142102.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 10

bluerm166

Visit site
GUY COTTON classic Rosbras jacket for when it' s tanking down all day long.No insulation value so warm set required beneath but it doesn't remain saturated for the next day.

Reactions: KAM

Minerva

Visit site
I have this simpson lawrence jacket, made in scotland, at least 30 years old and is the only waterproof one i have even though i have 5 other various brands.
My go to for nasty weather is the fladden. Warmest, totally waterproof, proper lightweight immersion suit and cheap (ish)

I was given one of those Fladen suits whilst out whale watching in Northern Iceland a few years ago in what ended up being horrible, filthy weather. I was very impressed. I'm currently torn between them or a set of Decathlon top of the range Foulies.

afterpegassus

Visit site
I was given one of those Fladen suits whilst out whale watching in Northern Iceland a few years ago in what ended up being horrible, filthy weather. I was very impressed. I'm currently intorn between them or a set of Decathlon top of the range Foulies.
They are excellent value for money and I use one for my winter boaty activities up here. Don't expect to be doing anything too energetic in one though, they can be very sweaty.

B27

Visit site
I have a Typhoon breathable drysuit, it's very good for winter dinghy sailing, going out in RIBs etc.
Since I gave up(/got sacked from) being a foredeck monkey, I don't tend to get that wet on yachts....

Gsailor

Visit site
I'm looking to upgrade my very worn-out Gill offshore sailing gear this winter. What brand do you use/recommend?
Ventile material garment! See links at base of this post.

It may cost a lot, but it will breath and last forever - google it. You will not find many sailing garments made from it (except dry suits). The price is high. Invented in WII to enable downed pilots to survive in the water until rescue boat picked them up.

Old tech revisited in modern day.

Very expensive coats are made from it - even a hat made from it costs a lot of dosh.

I have a ventile dry suit; it is superb. Very VERY hardwaring, super windproof and waterproof - the best gear EVER.

Now, about GoreTex - it is a good material -BUT it is extremely fragile - suits need rolling not folding. It is only PTFE - very thin.

Decent garments place the GoreTex between hardwaring fabrics.

I have a SAR orange GoreTex suit. Used for over 20 years of very hard sailing and still in perfect condition - quite astonishing. I really find it quite astonishing. Goodness knows what it cost brand new (I bought it second hand - in fact I did Google it years ago and it was about £1000 new IIRC)

People that say they treat their garments with Nikwax etc; that is only to bead the water off the garment.

An untreated garment, IFF -no spelling mistake there (it means if and only if for those new to it) it does not bead water, BUT if the Goretex is intact, the outer material will become wet and heavy , but the laminated GoreTex within will stop water getting through to the person. So a damaged outer fabric but intact inner membrane of GoreTex keeps you dry.

So if you HAVE to treat your gear with Nikwax and tumble dry to stay dry (rather than maintain lightness of the garment) then the GoreTex has failed.

In decent gear (SAR helicopter stuff) the GoreTex is laminated between layers and is difficult to damage, so the GoreTex lasts and you stay dry even if the water does not bead off the outer layer. You may feel the garment become heavier as the outer layer soaks up water, but the inner GoreTex layer keeps you dry.

Since I learned the above, I only use Ventile suits or military grade GoreTex gear (even second hand can be ok).

I once bought a GoreTex coat where the GoreTex film was visible and against the skin ( it was not protected from abrasion) - it did not last a season of simple rambling - the GoreTex wore away - it is so thin.

If you don’t want GoreTex, go for stuff that does not breath (Guy cotton e.g.) but wear proper layers beneath and expect to shower more often.

I also have a Fladen suit for Winter sailing, but layer up underneath properly. It is also super warm and comfy for walking around the great outdoors in sub zero conditions but feeling as if I were indoors !

Ventile - Wikipedia

What is Ventile® and how does it work?

Last edited:

Gsailor

Visit site
Walking about is one thing 12 hours spent sitting in a puddle is another. It sort of works for jackets, but fails miserably for trousers IMHO.
That means the GoreTex has failed - not surprising because the sitting down will wear tiny holes in the fragile GoreTex membrane-

I have a GoreTex bivvi bag - when purchased new, I got in the bath with it and I floated!

I am not surprised the seats of trousers fail (GoreTex failing) and would expect knees to fail too if the inner and outer ‘sandwich’ materials do not do a good job of protecting the GoreTex.

Nikwax, grangers, Fabsil etc simply treat the outer shell of a garment and afford no breathability as far as I know.

Last edited:

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I believe it comes with age.
Perhaps, but mine was as part of a mountain rescue team. At times there was a lot of waiting about while casualties were treated and either placed on stretchers or slowly walked off the hill.

The waterproof trousers were well tested while sat on cold wet surfaces - the point that @michael_w raised.

Being on a mountain in a storm gives you no place to hide, the kit has to be good. Boats usually have at least a sprayhood.

onesea

Visit site
Look at how and what you want to use it for and size of locker, it’s kept in. Decide what style and features you like. Then start a check list.

Our jackets and trousers have tended to last about 5 years on the boat. HellyHansen, Musto, Toggi, Gill, Simpson Laurence we tried most however we are not buying top of the range.

We buy what ticks the checklist at the right price, rarely have we paid much over £200 for full suit (Rarely breathable, or matching). On one occasion we both ended up with matching suits for £300.

The advantage of not having full top of the range gear is less bulk. Often cheaper stuff is less bulky it ends it’s life as dog walking gear. We normally buy new when old dog walking gear is porous.

Look for the discounts and offers.

mrming

instagram.com
I race a pretty long season every year, mostly on the South coast and in Ireland. Reading this I can’t believe:
- How wet everyone seems to get
- How cold it must be - I don’t actually use my gear that much
Then I remembered I sit in the cockpit and it’s rare for a wave to actually get me. 😀