Best way to join Positive battery cables

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
If you were installing mission-critical electrics for the MoD, sub-sea comms or the railway network, or you don't trust your abiity to make a good connection, I would agree. But this is a leisure boat. There are many, many points of failure on a leisure boat that woudn't be tolerated on a MoD spec vessel. It all needs tobe kept in perspective.
Say that again when you arrive back on the mooring and the pub has closed.

penberth3

Visit site
If you were installing mission-critical electrics for the MoD, sub-sea comms or the railway network, or you don't trust your abiity to make a good connection, I would agree. But this is a leisure boat. There are many, many points of failure on a leisure boat that woudn't be tolerated on a MoD spec vessel. It all needs tobe kept in perspective.

Who mentioned MOD Spec? I didn't.

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
What a load of Ball ox. If you are going to do a job, do it properly, no matter what job. In the OP's situation I would, as an electrical professional consider nothing other than a cable of the correct length and CSA.

justanothersailboat

Visit site
The OP's final plan of placing a single join in a cable that is the correct size, with a correctly applied crimp with correctly applied seal over it, is doing the job properly - the job of adapting his existing system in a reasonably robust way. Anything else is waste and, if the cable route is at all involved, also making a lot of unnecessary work and disruption. If a joint in a power cable was really a bad thing we wouldn't be able to have fuses.

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
The OP's final plan of placing a single join in a cable that is the correct size, with a correctly applied crimp with correctly applied seal over it, is doing the job properly - the job of adapting his existing system in a reasonably robust way. Anything else is waste and, if the cable route is at all involved, also making a lot of unnecessary work and disruption. If a joint in a power cable was really a bad thing we wouldn't be able to have fuses.
Never said that a joint in a cable was a "Really bad thing" "Horses for courses" In this case it is undesirable and unprofessional. We all have standards, some more than others.