Best tiller pilot

goeasy123

Visit site
What's the best tiller pilot to use for back-up on a Hydrovane? I have a Najad 400, Weight 12tonnes. I'm guessing the most powerful one I can get is a good idea??

Tranona

Visit site
The most powerful is the Raymarine EV100, but only recommended for half your displacement. However I suspect you are talking about using on a bracket and lever to drive your Hydrovane rudder and I have seen that done with the smallest selfcontained tiller pilot such as the ST100 or 2000. You cannot expect control under sail in any serious conditions, but would be very useful for motoring. Therefore more a backup for your autopilot than the Hydrovane.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I would have thought you could get away with a lightweight one, because you'll only be using it for motoring and in light conditions - if there was any real wind you'd be using your Hydrovane.

I use a Ev-100 equivalent on my 40' boat and it's fine in a gale.

goeasy123

Visit site
Yes, It's only for motoring, as a back up.

Simrad, you say... Waterproof is a plus and I think the big Simrad has slighly more umph that the Raymarine st2000. The rest of the boat is Raymarine. How much might that matter?

Daydream believer

Visit site
My Simrad TP 32 lasted far longer than any of my Raymarine ones, including my AV100 ( which is a death trap but another story).
I am on my 7Th component/autopilot change in 20 years, never had any luck with autopilots; hence the Aries.

Refueler

Visit site
What is best ?

The one that fits the boat size and works. Just commenting and I realise OP mentioned Windvane etc.

I have old Nautech Autohelm 800 and 1000 .... both have plodded on for many years with odd repair here and there .... wired remote had new cable ... I've replaced the power plug ... data plugs / sockets ..... and they keep on working ...

5y56Wjhl.jpg

TorLanal.jpg

One day I may upgrade to an NMEA capable unit ..... but all the time they keep going ..... why ?

Last edited:

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Here is how Troy set up his tillerpilot to windvane system.
the hydrovane works on a different principle. It is an auxiliary rudder rather than driving the boats rudder. All the examples on their website show a tiller pilot connected to the emergency rudder tiller rather than the air vane input.