Best small boat for 2 people? MK 2

Avocet

Visit site
You'd get a whole FLEET of Cutlass 27s for £30k! Other than being over 30 years old, they will "tick all the other boxes" handsomely. A fantstic sea boat, but like all long-keelers of that style, not much space down below.

orion50

Visit site
I think the 30 year old bit is too rigid.
Some boats older than that will have been re-engined, loads of new gear installed, possibly new sails. This input from the previous owner will never be fully reflected in the asking price. Some older boats show their age in terms of interior design (volume) - however if you buy a boat which has been someone's pride and joy in recent years and actively sailed rather than being laid up, you could end up with something very nice. buying local means you can view a few times , have a trial sail, learn a little of the history of the boat.

good luck!

chockswahay

Visit site
a few good replies.............thanks guys.

I should have added that I am just over 6ft tall (rules out Folkboat etc) and that as big as possible forepeak would be nice :)

Reason for less than 30 years old is because we intend to keep this one for a long long time!

I am also into 'less is more'..........all the goodies can fail.

My last boat was too big, too complex, too difficult single handed.

Also must be easy on the eyes and nice inside!

Needs to be comfortable motion in an F6 to F8 coz that's where I always seem to end up :(

I know I know.............asking for the impossible !!

Cheers

Last edited:

V1701

Visit site
I think the 30 year old bit is too rigid.
Some boats older than that will have been re-engined, loads of new gear installed, possibly new sails. This input from the previous owner will never be fully reflected in the asking price. Some older boats show their age in terms of interior design (volume) - however if you buy a boat which has been someone's pride and joy in recent years and actively sailed rather than being laid up, you could end up with something very nice. buying local means you can view a few times , have a trial sail, learn a little of the history of the boat.

good luck!

Especially good when there's a choice of the same make/model available. A year ago I'd decided on a Vega and picked the best of those available at the time. It had recent engine/peripherals, main, no.1 & 2 sails, self-tailing winches, folding prop, cushions/upholstery and more, which the owner will have paid probably in the region of £7k or something I guess. I bought for £10k and only paid that much because I tracked it down via the forum before it was actually put up for sale. I've added a chart plotter/AIS, dinghy/outboard, reinforced the mast support, added a Navik windvane & a new tillerpilot but I think would do very well to get my money back just a year later (not that I want to sell). You could get a reengined Vega now for £7/8k, fantastic value for what you get...:)

doug748

Visit site
Albin Ballad?

I know, probably too old, plus the layout below is more suited to racing.

Victoria 30? You might get lucky and find an older model in the price range.

onesea

Visit site
a few good replies.............thanks guys.

I should have added that I am just over 6ft tall (rules out Folkboat etc) and that as big as possible forepeak would be nice :)

Reason for less than 30 years old is because we intend to keep this one for a long long time!

I am also into 'less is more'..........all the goodies can fail.

My last boat was too big, too complex, too difficult single handed.

Also must be easy on the eyes and nice inside!

Needs to be comfortable motion in an F6 to F8 coz that's where I always seem to end up :(

I know I know.............asking for the impossible !!

Cheers

Must admit I would not off some of the plus 30 year boats. They are also the ones I would prefare to ut in a gale in.

MY suggestions although maybe look just over 30' but easily handled and not complicated.. You will get ALLOT of boat for your money if you shop wisely.

Moodys various just over 30' mark,
Nicolson 35,
Others that have been mentioned,

ukmctc

out cruising, sailing around UK and Europe
Visit site
Quite a while back I asked a advice regarding choice of boat to buy. On that occasion I said 27 ft or so, long keel, lines led back, traditional style etc.....

Now then, what would you say if I said how about a good seaworthy boat under 30 ft under 30 years old..............strong.........sea kindly.........simple..........tiller........go anywhere.....under £30000?

I like the idea of long keel for stability etc but like fin keel (fin and skeg?) for speed.

Needs to be capable of going off shore, mostly West coast of Scotland.

Everyone has an opinion, care to share?

Chox
Trapper 500 or Moody 33 Mk1 both excellent as liveaboard and cruising and cheap to buy.
Price range Trapper 500/501 £8500 to £15000 Moody £9000 to £30000.

Both yachts are sea kindly and forgiving, and will take care of you in all weathers.

Ross D

Visit site
+1 for a Vega, it definitely ticks all the boxes, several have been round the world. Buying one would give you a lot of change from £30K so you could make the upgrades you wanted, new engine, sails etc and get everything working very well with still having loads of cash to spare. Rather than buying a boat at the top of you budget and having no money to upgrade it.

If you are planning to keep it for a long time then you will get the benefit of money spent on upgrades. I would always prefer to buy a cheaper boat and upgrade it, than a more expensive boat and trust everything works. You get more for your money and you know everything works.

Ross

joha

Visit site
Carter 30.Quite quick good sea boat in a gale quite a bit of room downstairs for a seventies boat small cockpit though, but secure and easy to handle single handed and actually 29.9ft

j

Javelin

www.Southwoldboatyard.co.uk
We've got a nice Contessa 28 here at Southwold.
I've done a bit of work on her and she impressed me.
Built in 1979 so a little outside your max but she's in really good order and at a little over 18k is a pretty good deal.

There are some details here

Bobc

Visit site
Can you not get a Sadler 34 for that sort of money? I would have thought it would cover most of the requirements

rob2

Visit site
I have a Weston 8500,1986/7. It has a fin and skeg configuration but still has a deep-veed hull, giving a very sea-kindly motion. Each boat was finished to the owners whim, so it is worth checking that the berths are sufficient for your frame - being fairly short myself it is not a problem.

Although a little older and with slightly less headroom the original hull design is the Varne 27 or 850. There are a few around in Scottish waters.

Have a look on http://www.varne.co.uk/

Rob.

kds

www.canongrange.co.uk
How about trintella 29 ?How about a Trintella 29 ?

Trintella 29

Yes - Van der Stadt at his traditional best. Full keel/rudder, but low wetted surface.
Great in a blow - but suprisingly fast in light airs.

Too old ? No - well mine was moulded by Tylers in '76 but not launched until 2004 - all new interior and rigging, mast, engine, etc.

Make me an offer !

Ken

Tranona

Visit site
You now have 35 suggestions - and not even scratched the surface of the number of designs that will meet the criteria.

Although questions such as these provide an interesting insight into other peoples' choices, difficult to see how it can help in your decision.

Lakesailor

Visit site
Quite, I day-sail so the cockpit is very important to me as that's where I spend all my time.
My Valiant 18 was a bit of a slug and would round up at the drop of a hat, but the cockpit was really comfortable.
Neither my Foxcub or the Seahawk was a patch on it in this respect, although much better boats.
Other people's opinions can only be a guide, you have to ensure the boat suits your own needs.