Best racing books?

MissFitz

Visit site
Book recommendation requests are a regular theme on the other forums so thought it might be nice to start one here. What books do forumites rate as the most interesting/useful for racers? I'm thinking technical stuff rather than narratives but other than that any topic would be good - trim, tactics, met, nav, boat/sail design..........

roblpm

Visit site
I am a novice racer and the North U books are good. But I think the thing I have found most useful are the Speed and Smarts newsletter back issue bundles.

tat27

Visit site
Being a Fastnet year - Left For Dead, Fastnet Force 10... I keep going back to those. I enjoy books detailing the racing scene "back in the day" ebfore I started - Big Red about the Steinlager Whitbread campaign.

lw395

Visit site
Quarrie: Offshore Race Crew Manual (or something like that?)
Perry 'Winning in One Designs'
Houghton 'Wind Strategy'
Most of the Fernhurst books are pretty good, covering well defined subject areas, where a lot of books ramble about all aspects of sailing.

For dinghy stuff, Bethwaite's 'High Performance Sailing' trilogy.

lpdsn

Visit site
North-U books, especially Trim.
Bethwhaite books good and useful for more than dinghies.
Stuart Walker, Advanced Racing Tactics - quite old nowadays but gets you thinking about tactics the way you should.
And of course the RRS - I always find Bryan Willis the clearest explainer of the rules, but it's a matter of taste.