Best products for cleaning non-slip deck

AllanG

Visit site
Hi,

My non-slip fore deck is ingrained with small black dots, which won't come off with normal brushing, so I'm after suggestions off what cleaning products I should try to remove them.

Also, would it be safe to use a power washer on this type of deck?

Many thanks,

Allan

stelican

Visit site
Hi,

My non-slip fore deck is ingrained with small black dots, which won't come off with normal brushing, so I'm after suggestions off what cleaning products I should try to remove them.

Also, would it be safe to use a power washer on this type of deck?

Many thanks,

Allan

Hi
I have used Starbright non slip deck cleaner in conjunction with a Karcher rotary pressure washer and always been pleased with the results.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
My boat has been covered with black dots now for ages, I tried jet wash with stiff brush and TFR, no luck, in the end I used Lemon jiff with a hand scrubbing brush and it worked very easy.

Firefly625

Visit site
cillit bang grime and lime is brilliant IMO... easy to get hold of. Often on a buy one get one free offer and sprayed on decks etc, with a little agitation with a scrubbing brush, leave for a minute then wash off boats looks like new. Wear gloves, otherwise does start to burn..

Elza_Skip

Visit site
I regularly use Starbrite non slip deck cleaner however if you have lots of small specks they may be pinholes which require alot of scrubbing to get the dirt out of.

mm1

Visit site
another vote for starbrite non skid deck cleaner,wet deck slightly,spray product,slightly aggitate,leave for 1 min then scrub with long handled medium brush(not hard brush)& spray off,some areas may need a second application but it does work,regards mm1.

Firefly625

Visit site
starbrite (a marine product...) £5

Cillit Bang grime & lime... £3.05 (but 2 for 1 offer currently at some supermarkets & on ocado)....

honestly, as someone who is OCD about cleaning I have tried most.. & this is good.

Last edited:

AllanG

Visit site
starbrite (a marine product...) £5

Cillit Bang grime & lime... £3.05 (but 2 for 1 offer currently at some supermarkets & on ocado)....

honestly, as someone who is OCD about cleaning I have tried most.. & this is good.

Bought some Cillit Bang grime & lime this morning, so will have a go at cleaning the deck tomorrow.........and I'll let you know the result!!

Cheers, Allan

Firefly625

Visit site
Bought some Cillit Bang grime & lime this morning, so will have a go at cleaning the deck tomorrow.........and I'll let you know the result!!

Cheers, Allan

Hope you like the results, if you wet the decks first, then spray on and work on a half meter section at a time, apply, scrub/agitate leave 30 seconds or so, a little more scrubbing then wash off..... really hope you get the results i do.. & no, I don't offer refunds ::);)

Marine Reflections

hullgel.co.uk
Melamine sponges are great on smooth surfaces, but the non slip will make short work of them.

The cheap, reliable method as Xtiffer suggested would be an oxalic solution.

Grime & lime and starbright will work very well as will lots of others.

Pressure washer should be fine, but use it as a tool to work 'with' the cleaner rather than the pressure on it's own. The non slip areas are common areas for air voids and you may open some up with too much pressure.

The sponges are great on most surfaces and will work, but may cost you to do a big area.
:)

AllanG

Visit site

Cheers, Allan

Well, in the end I bought some Cillit Bang grime & lime & CIF White cream, and as I also already had some Starbrite Non-slip deck cleaner, I tried them all, with the following results..........

Best....CIF
Equal 2nd........Cillit Bang & Starbrite

They all needed quite a bit of scrubbing, but the result for the CIF was excellent........so I can highly recommend this product, especially as it only cost £1.50 for 500 ml at Tesco..........what a bargain!!

Thanks again for all your suggestions.......that's what I love about this forum!!

Cheers, Allan

stelican

Visit site
cillit bang grime and lime is brilliant IMO... easy to get hold of. Often on a buy one get one free offer and sprayed on decks etc, with a little agitation with a scrubbing brush, leave for a minute then wash off boats looks like new. Wear gloves, otherwise does start to burn..

Probably has detrimental effect to gel coat if you read instructions would not let anyehere near my boat as I have seen it bugger up canopies!

Firefly625

Visit site
Probably has detrimental effect to gel coat if you read instructions would not let anyehere near my boat as I have seen it bugger up canopies!

I certainly wouldn't apply to canopies, but as non slip deck cleaners as OP was asking for I still would back my recommendation, why? well Grime and Lime Cleaner Trigger product contains two acids: sulfamic acid and phosphoric acid. Phosphoric acid (also known as orthophosphoric acid or phosphoric (V) acid) is a weak mineral acid with the chemical formula H3PO4 and applied to rusted iron or steel tools or surfaces to convert iron (III) oxide (rust) to a water-soluble phosphate compound. It is safe to be used on glass, acrylic plastic, ceramics (wash basins, toilet bowls, etc.), wall and floor tiles, PVC floor coating, chrome and kitchen tops.
It should not be used on any acid sensitive material, such as marble or enamel, aluminium, copper, stone, zinc-plated metals, kitchen worktops, linoleum, varnished, waxed or oiled wood floors, rubber, textiles or carpets. But on GRP it really is OK, have used it for a few years now...with no detrimental effects.
But stelican always wise to be cautious, if not convinced just use CIF, as Allan has discovered!