Best One Pan/Pot Recipes

CatkinMark

Visit site
Love sailing but my diet is fairly limited. I tend not to stray further than tinned stuff (tuna,tomatoes mainly) and rice or pasta. I'd be interested in hearing of other peoples favourite simple recipes.

Billyo

Visit site
My favorites include risotto, sausage hot pot, pearl barley stew (I'm going to borrow a pressure cooker to see if I can speed the pearl barley up). All are interchangeable with any meat or left overs or just veggies.

Yngmar

Visit site
I use my small frying pan a lot. Easy to clean (modern hard enamel non-stick) and just the right size for single-handed meals.

Tonight's meal was two burgers, fried in some olive oil on low heat along with a strip of bacon on either side. Flip over, pop a slice of cheese (round sliced chili cheese from Lidl) on the top while frying the other side. When done, put on a plate, then toss some sugar snap peas (also Lidl) in the hot fat and fry until they're starting to brown, season with salt and pepper (always from the grinder), add to the plate and enjoy.

NornaBiron

www.flickr.com
My favorites include risotto, sausage hot pot, pearl barley stew (I'm going to borrow a pressure cooker to see if I can speed the pearl barley up). All are interchangeable with any meat or left overs or just veggies.

Pearl barley cooks really well in a vacuum flask - heat flask, put 1/2 cup pearl barley in flask with 1 cup of boiling water. Seal, invert a couple of times, leave for one and a half hours, drain and use. Not quicker but minimal gas, less heat and moisture in the boat and it allows you to get on with something else whilst it's cooking

Billyo

Visit site
Pearl barley cooks really well in a vacuum flask - heat flask, put 1/2 cup pearl barley in flask with 1 cup of boiling water. Seal, invert a couple of times, leave for one and a half hours, drain and use. Not quicker but minimal gas, less heat and moisture in the boat and it allows you to get on with something else whilst it's cooking

Excellent, will give that a go next time.

[3889]

Visit site
Cassoulet in a pressure cooker.
http://instantpot.com/pressure-cooker-cassoulet/
I do the meat-browning bit in the pressure cooker so it is truly 1 pot. I also substitute the beef broth with passata + chicken stock cube.

Add sausage (ideally Toulouse) for more flavour and/or chuck in and warm through a couple of pieces of duck confit after cooking.

Last edited:

alant

Visit site
I looked up the BBC recipe for that. It looks so good that I have ordered cook to make one for tea this afternoon. But it needs an oven to bake it in. How can the OP bake it in a pan?

Preferably cook in an oven, but essentially one pot.
I usually use a large saucepan, for the dried fruit, sugar, butter, milk, small amount bicarb, this all brought to boil, simmered for 10 minutes, then cooled. I also as an extra, pour some spirit, like cherry brandy etc into the mix during the simmer stage, because it seems to make the resulting cake more moist. When cool, mix in eggs/flour.
Then decant mix into cake tins, or put the saucepan into the oven & cook.
To be fair, usually cooked at home, but great taken on a sailing trip, can be eaten anytime, regardless of conditions.

Other dishes easily cooked, on board, in oven, are bread n butter pudding (one pot) even a Victoria sponge (have done this off the western approaches in the oven tray, results excellent to taste, but somewhat industrial in appearance).

Poignard

Visit site
Preferably cook in an oven, but essentially one pot.
I usually use a large saucepan, for the dried fruit, sugar, butter, milk, small amount bicarb, this all brought to boil, simmered for 10 minutes, then cooled. I also as an extra, pour some spirit, like cherry brandy etc into the mix during the simmer stage, because it seems to make the resulting cake more moist. When cool, mix in eggs/flour.
Then decant mix into cake tins, or put the saucepan into the oven & cook.
To be fair, usually cooked at home, but great taken on a sailing trip, can be eaten anytime, regardless of conditions.

Other dishes easily cooked, on board, in oven, are bread n butter pudding (one pot) even a Victoria sponge (have done this off the western approaches in the oven tray, results excellent to taste, but somewhat industrial in appearance).
Your political views may be terrible but you certainly know what's what when in comes to good living. :encouragement:

Spuddy

Visit site
I'll give the pearl barley method a go - it makes an alternative risotto. For owt more stewy than pasta I now use a pressure cooker. One of the smaller ones. Well worth the space; lots of recipes. What makes a difference for me is the frying of the onions first: either brown them on a medium heat so they brown a bit which suits darker stews or add some water and bring up to pressure for a bit so that they stay pale, soft and sweet which suits chicken .

ripvan1

Visit site
Cook tagliatelli and drain, add tub of ready made cheese sauce mix and lightly heat and stir. While in pan add inch squares of smoked salmon/tuna/ham and stir in. Add chopped fresh tomatoes and olives - voila - 15 minutes.

Yngmar

Visit site
Baked bread today. More of a one-tray recipe. Only had white flour, so added some sesame and sunflower seeds to spice things up and turned out well. Dough did not want to rise in the cool cabin, but putting it on a box in front of the Eberspächer vent sorted that right out :)

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
You need a wok for this.

Cut a chicken breast into 1/2 in cubes.. Rub with a little Chinese 5 spice powder.
Chop fresh ginger, garlic,onion and green pepper or broccoli.
Saute for about 7 minutes I like using 50 % Sesame oil.
Add some beansprouts, a sprinkle of Soy sauce and 1/2 cup of water and turn up the heat. Stir fry for about 1 minute then put the lid on and let it steam for about 4 mins.

You can ring the changes on the by adding some prepared sauces in the last minute or two. I like satay or sweet Thai chili.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Paella(ish). In a large heavy pan, fry a couple of onions, a pepper or two and some garlic until soft. Add about 60gm of rice per person (I use long grain but you could use risotto rice) until it is translucent. Add about 3/4 litres of chicken or fish stock along with some paprika powder. Cook for about 10 minutes or until rice is begining to soften towards being cooked. Add some cubed white fish, prawns and other sea food to personal taste and a couple of handfuls of peas. Cook until rice has finished. Serve. Alternative is to use chicken but that needs to go in before the stock. You can also add chorizo if the mood takes you.

Fajitas. Using the same pan as above. Cut a couple of onions and peppers into strips. Cut meat into thin strips (you can use steak, pork or chicken). Crush a couple of cloves of garlic. Fry meat in a dollop of oil until more or less cooked (3 minutes for steak, 5-7 for pork or chicken) add peppers, onions and garlic. Fry together then add a couple of teaspoons of hot chilli powder (to taste, use mild if you prefer). Serve with guacamole, salsa, grated cheese, shredded lettuce and tortillas. Put tortilla on plate, make a line of main filling add the accompaniments to taste, roll it up and eat. Great tasting but messy....