Best/nearest Irish destination

ncounties

Visit site
As Graham376 suggests, the closest and best destination would be Kilmore Quay. But if distance wasn't a concern, I would stop off there for a night, and continue west to Roaring Water Bay (IMHO - the best sailing group in Ireland, as well as that whole SW corner right up to Dingle). You could stop of at either Glandore or Castletownshend en-route there. Both very picturesque villages. The latter being a nightmare to set anchor in though!!

TSB240

Visit site
My vote would be for Arklow.
Do you suffer anosmia?

Wicklow is a better alternative if you prefer not to suffer the stench of either an open sewer pontoon berth or the alternative pervasive smell of fish in the fish dock.

Very friendly HM tries his best to compensate for the run down armpit of Emerald Isle.

Wicklow would get my vote even if the passaget is a bit longer North.

Beneteau381

Visit site
Do you suffer anosmia?

Wicklow is a better alternative if you prefer not to suffer the stench of either an open sewer pontoon berth or the alternative pervasive smell of fish in the fish dock.

Very friendly HM tries his best to compensate for the run down armpit of Emerald Isle.

Wicklow would get my vote even if the passaget is a bit longer North.
And the used johnnies!

Beneteau381

Visit site
I wouldn't recommend a night arrival at Kilmore for first time there unless flat calm, better to go a few miles further west to Dunmore East.
I remember following an Irish family in. He turned right towards the entrance and I followed, L said to me whats that guy on the shore doing jumping up and down! I took a quick bin look, he was waving us away! I did a 180, the Irish had forgotten to go far enough before turning right. It was the HM, he said after that we were heading straight towards the hard bits! For those that dont know, there is/was a seriesof red and green gates to negotiate before final approach.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Really depends on where you are going and what you plan to do when you get there.

I am looking to cross the water in May 2023 from either Lands End or The Isle of Scilly and am aiming somewhere between Cork and Peel on the Isle of Man depending on the weather.

david_bagshaw

Visit site
From Bristol Channel NW (e.g. Tenby).
Suggestions please.
tenby to milford, them kilmore quay.

the sw coast is stuffed with interest, Waterford, Youghal, cork and many in between. Have fun Ireland is a fab destination, easy tides and a sheltered coast, well the sw one is good..

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
Is Wexford worth looking at?
I’m putting SE Ireland on my 2023 list as a potential from Milford Haven (given my inexperience offshore and that my boat is only 24ft, it’s a considerable crossing for me) and Wexford looks about the same distance as Kilmore Quay, although further into St George’s channel.

TSB240

Visit site
Is Wexford worth looking at?
I’m putting SE Ireland on my 2023 list as a potential from Milford Haven (given my inexperience offshore and that my boat is only 24ft, it’s a considerable crossing for me) and Wexford looks about the same distance as Kilmore Quay, although further into St George’s channel.
Passage into Wexford is probably one-off the most demanding anywhere in Ireland!

Wexford - East and South of Ireland: pilotage, charts, photos and marine business listings

You may as well switch your navionics off and hope that the local bouyage is correct.

Don't think I would want to be skimming banks at the end of a long passage or in deteriorating weather conditions.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
I remember following an Irish family in. He turned right towards the entrance and I followed, L said to me whats that guy on the shore doing jumping up and down! I took a quick bin look, he was waving us away! I did a 180, the Irish had forgotten to go far enough before turning right. It was the HM, he said after that we were heading straight towards the hard bits! For those that dont know, there is/was a seriesof red and green gates to negotiate before final approach.
There is a reef right across, known as St Patrick's Bridge, between the mainland and the island, with a gap marked by a series of port- and starboard-hand markers. The channel into the harbour is indicated by leading marks/lights, one of which is a pylon on the beach/rocks to the east of the pier head. Strong tidal currents rush through the strait, with the result that sometimes the heading of a boat approaching the harbour may differ significantly from its direction of travel.