Best epoxy?

Charlie Boy

Visit site
So I’m in the process of ‘re-doing’ the epoxy on the underside. The old stuff has been thoroughly sanded back and power washed and now I’m at the point of deciding which epoxy to use. The choice seems to be between International Gelshield 200 and Hempel High Protect 2, the former is slightly more expensive but not enough to make me decide on that basis.
Does anyone have experience or technical insight here, please?

srm

Visit site
I used a commercial high build epoxy, normally specified for bridges, as it was very tolerant of humidity and temperature during application. Recommended and supplied by the Coppercoat people but can not remember the trade name/brand.

Geoff Wode

Visit site
Gelshield is solvented and High Protect is not. That might have some influence on your choice for the rest of the system. High Protect will build a thicker final thickness but I found it harder to work with. Both require some control over the environment during application and cure.

Charlie Boy

Visit site
An update; So I have areas where the original epoxy (40ish years)never adhered properly (a pox on the lazy twat who didn’t abrade it properly before applying) so that’s been throughly removed exposing the original gel coat. I called International who say DON’T apply Gelshield 200 directly to those areas, but treat with West Epoxy first.
So then I called West. And that’s where things start to get complicated. To cut a long story short, here’s a link to the definitive instructions; https://eu.westsystem.com/app/uploa...ide-To-Osmosis-Repair-Manual-5th-Feb-2004.pdf which I’m still ploughing through