Best cure for sea-sickness?

Giles

Visit site
I'm all very new to this sailing lark and was wondering what readers found best cured them of sea-sickness? (Or at least eased them through the 'Getting used to it' period)

claymore

Visit site
Ginger and keeping busy, Not going below, not having a diesely smelly boat, easy on the alcohol, keeping warm. Anyone can be affected, some less than others and there seems little logic to when it will strike.

EdEssery

Visit site
Re: It can actually fail

The actual full quote of the foolproof seasickness cure is to "Sit under an Oak Tree and watch a cricket match" Never known to fail...

I'd like to see the Italian yacht with an oak mast and a big enough deck to play cricket on!

Ed

Will

Visit site

I generally find that on noticing symptoms creeping up (very often signified by yawning and quietness) a spell on the helm genuinely helps. I don't think this solves severe sickness but it does seem to bring back those who are teetering on the "do I or don't I feel ill." If it does set in, then I reckon making the individual stay on deck is asking for trouble. They become lethargic and unaware of what's going on, inviting a crack on the head from the boom, or even hypothermia if it's cold/at nigt etc. Best thing is to lie down below, but lie, don't sit.
Finally, if you have never been sick yourself, try to appreciate what the crew is going through. I've only suffered once myself in several thousand miles - but I won't ever forget it and I think it probably makes me a better skipper. It's bloody evil!

summerwind

Visit site
A totally illogical preventative strategy that an old salt told me about seems to work, for me at least. It is to put cotton wool in your ears. What?

Maybe it works because of keeing your inner ear warm?

I also munch on ginger biscuits when the going gets a bit rough. Probably another old salt's yarn, but again, works for me.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com

Someone might choose the other cricket definition from oxford english dictionary "any saltatorial orthopterous insect of the genus Acheta" and organize a microscopic game between two of them.

Now that for sure would divert the attention of the sailor sufficiently to avoid seasickness!

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
In UK you have access to Stugeron (cinnarizine commercial name) which not being available in most other countries has an aura of miracle drug. It is supposed not to give somnolence like most other artificial preparations.

Guess it depends on the subject, my wife tested it once and slept for the whole night; pleasant passage though!

romany123

Visit site
Its not often im sick but the once or twice I have felt bad I have stuck my fingers down my mouth, it worked for me.
for a more detailed look into it, I have found this site for you.

Google Directory - Recreation > Travel > Preparation > ...
... Seasickness Causes and Prevention - http://seasickness.co.uk Complete seasickness
reference site detailing the cause and prevention of sea and motion sickness. ...
directory.google.com/Top/Recreation/Travel/Preparation/Health/ Motion_Sickness/ - 8k - Cached - Similar pages

Best of luck
Dave

Dave

Boatman

Visit site
If you look Stugeron is actually available in most countries, sometimes only on persrciption, I have a permenant supply on my boat. Not that I use it as I am one of the 5% who are alergic to it. it should also be noted that it comes in different does, 25mg tabs taken 3 x a day and 75mg tabs taken once a day.

Starting a 'course' a few days before a trip also seems to improve effectiveness

The sleepyness reaction depends on subject as well as effectivness, I have noticed quite varied reactions / levels of effectivness

G

Ditto Summerwind & Claymore

Fresh ginger pounded and cooked into anything 12 hours before the passage start and then a continual topping up ... even porridge laced with ginger ... (YUK!)

But when you have an excellent crew member subjuct to seasickness then the rest of the crew must suffer the ginger extract diet!

I don't know why ginger works. All I know is that ginger only seems to work on everyone that I've sailed with who is prone to seasickness providing that it is consumed 8-12 hours previously - and the effect seems to last for about 8-12 hours post consumtion.

G

With nursing hat on - The recomended over the counter preperation is Hyocine which is in Joy-rides and Kwells but it does still come with a drowsyness warning. This can be over estimated as one of the effects of sea-sickness is to make you feel drowsy! Its worth doing a 'trial' on land before using it at sea so that you know what effect it will have on you as it varies quite a lot.

Seasickness is caused by the inner ear mechanisam that tells you which way up you are being in conflict with what your eyes are telling you, This is why looking at the horizon works as it alows you brain to work out whats going on from a fixed visual reference. It is also why laying in you bunk with your eyes closed works, no visual input. In sevear conditions I believe some research suggests that the fluid in the inner ear can foam if it gets shaken enough and that this will cause you to feel sick even without the visual conflict happening. I havent seen conclusive reseach on this last piont though. The reason most people recover on a voyage is because the brain learns to ignore the unwanted signal the same way that it learns to ignore things like traffic noise that are always there.

The advice below is obviously based and experience and the chinese have used ginger for thousands of years. Keeping warm, lots of fluids, eating even though you don't feel like it, keeping active all help stop you falling into lethergy. I would also add ginger or lime flavoured drinks and as a mouth rinse after being sick, works for me. Also not doing long voyages when out of practice! build up slowly and try to spend a night at anchor before a voyage aclimatises the system.

Take seasickness seriously, it can lead to dehydration, hypothermia and makes people careless of their own safety so much more likely to fall over-board. If it affects the entire crew the boat is very much in danger.

The good news is many people say they suffer less as they become more experienced

Roly, Voya Con Dios, Glasson, Lancaster

EdEssery

Visit site
Seriously (cricket and trees aside), my father was a Captain in the Merchant Marine always suffered very badly. His recommendation was to position youself in the boat at the point of least motion, get your feet off the deck, keep warm, eat ginger/ginger biscuits and watch the horizon. Of these the most important is the horizon and feet off the deck followed closely by warmth.

Interestingly, in later life - he suffered severely from Tinnitus - I've often wondered if people who suffer badly from Seasickness are also prone to ringing in the ears.

Ed

Seafort

Visit site
I would recomend "Belvoir Ginger Cordial" (available from Tesco). Dilute with sparkling water and just sip it. If you don't like ginger the sparkling water tends to stay down and you dont become so dehydrated.

Now, this one works for me if I'm, uhh "Heaving",NIBBLE at cucumber sandwiches along with the water/ginger. No more dry ones for me thank you very much.

DF