Best country

NornaBiron

www.flickr.com
Heading to Greece, in the summer, changed out plans because we met a number of people that have been there full time for the last 10 years!!! It's good to you pocket I hear!

The number of safe accessible anchorages makes Greece cheaper than a lot of other countries in the Med

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
The country I liked best was Venezula and their out islands but it's no go area now because of the crime. I think the great majority of countries are too small to cruise, the French coast is an example of one that is OK. If you want island choice as said the Greek islands are the way to go.

macd

Visit site
I would have said Turkey but they seem to have messed up on the bureaucracy again. Hopefully, they will sort it out (again) before too long.

Even if they don't sort out whatever it is, Turkey may well be more attractive to UK citizens than Schengen countries after Brexit.

On the other hand, if Turkey went for a quid pro quo with the UK, Brits would probably be stuffed.

Last edited:

akyaka

Visit site
Errrh ... Do you mean in what way have they messed up the bureaucracy; or, in what way will they sort it out?

In what way do you believe they have they messed up the beaurocracy insofar as it affects foreign yachties. They have a visa system which follows exactly that of non EU visitors to Schengen countries which could become the norm for UK citizens and a residency system for longer stay visitors which is based on a straight forward on line application system.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Greece Greece Greece , OK we love Greece but come on guys there lot of other place just as good if not better , one really problem with Greece is one island is the same as the next , white church , blue and white houses , west part there hardly any sailing. To be done , although with the wind does come it seen to catch people out , the last two years there been quite a lot of damage to boats , it's also packed with charter boats and the best part the East of Greece , when the meltemi blows you can be stuck in harbour for a lot longer then you want to . As far as country history goes and what to see , after you seen one pile of Broken rock and pots , it all starts to look the same .
One country we been very surprise with is Croatia , ( I can see people shaken their heads ) . We just had our second season there the last one was in 2014 , once again we loved it , yes you have to pay for a permit , about (150 Euros ) for us and yes you have to check in and out or you WILL get fined . But once you checked in your let alone , forget what you hear about there no where you can anchor without paying .its total rubbish , once again we anchored every day for three month with paying a cent , the country is lovely , it has lots of history and the seas unlike Greece are very clean no plastic bottles or floating debris , food the same price but better then Greece , fuel we paying 90 cent a lts where a week earlier in Greece we paid 1.15 , the down side is if you want to use a town wall for the night or a Marina , the cost is eye watering and some of the good anchorage have mooring fields where you can't anchor closer then 150 mts to them although we have without any problem .
Since we set out the bluewatersailorcroatia Web site , I been approached but plenty of people who have tried it and no word of a lie no one has said there haven't enjoyed it many have said they wish there when years ago . We also in the past met people who moaned about being fined for not checking at the first port , all I can say is if you break the law and get caught and fined you can't moan about it .
One big different we seen in Croatia from the last time we was there is the official are getting friendlier we got a smile when we checked in and a big welcome .
Just one warming just so it don't put a downer to your visit to Croatia before it start , don't check in to Cavata , if you do expect to be asked for 10 euros to moor to the custom quay ,
Three ways how not to pay ,
1 if you don't want to pay then don't give them your mooring line , that's what your paying for to help you moor up but expect to ague the toss . ( I have never paid )
2 get there before 7.30 before the guys get there .
3 check in else where .
For some this season over , have a nice time back home .
for us we hoping to get back in the water within the next two weeks after six weeks of non stop work on an re fit and looking forward to another few months of sailing , anyone wintering in Malta look us up , we be there some time in Dec .

Last edited:

robertj

Visit site
Well I am thinking of west coast of France next year and head round to the med via Portugal the following year, if I stay in Portugal it will be the year after.

cmedsailor

Visit site
one really problem with Greece is one island is the same as the next , white church , blue and white houses , .

Noooo, it's not like that. The Cyclades islands (the typical white and blue) are different from Dodekanisa islands and different from the Ionian islands. And then it's the islands at Saronic gulf or the Sporades islands and so on. There's a lot of difference between the islands.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Noooo, it's not like that. The Cyclades islands (the typical white and blue) are different from Dodekanisa islands and different from the Ionian islands. And then it's the islands at Saronic gulf or the Sporades islands and so on. There's a lot of difference between the islands.

After 18 years on and off the greek island it all looks the same to me now :)

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
yes I was thinking of visiting the rias, any info about them book wise?

Not a book, but an on-line resource: Google JimB , or, just click the link!

To answer the original post in more general terms; any area with lots of islands or lots of deep estuaries is going to provide interesting cruising.

W Scotland; Stockholm archipelago; Channel islands and nearby Brittany coast; Balearics; S Corsica - N Sardinia; Croatia; the enormous sea area which comprises Greece; ditto the Caribbean.

However, some of these will be unacceptable to various people for different reasons. Climate too hot/too cold; too wet/too sunny; too windy/too calm. Economy too expensive/too primitive. Access too easy (Solent!)/too difficult (Orkneys).

But there's one certainty. The "best" places will have a lot of charter traffic, and will be very crowded in season. Which immediately reduces their charm for many.

Gerry

www.gerryantics.blogspot.com
May I suggest Panama?
The wonderful exotic San Blas Islands off the Caribbean coast. Countless tiny anchorages, coral beaches and 'National Geographic' moments. The excitment of Colon, the Canal, then the Pacific coast with off lying islands and amazing wildlife.
There are wild rivers to explore, the sophisticated city with all the amenities you could want. Prices are low and the people are friendly and welcoming.
We spent two years exploring it's delights and it is one of the places that I would definitely return to...

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
I agree with that. :encouragement:

Just the humidity to get used to though.

May I suggest Panama?
The wonderful exotic San Blas Islands off the Caribbean coast. Countless tiny anchorages, coral beaches and 'National Geographic' moments. The excitment of Colon, the Canal, then the Pacific coast with off lying islands and amazing wildlife.
There are wild rivers to explore, the sophisticated city with all the amenities you could want. Prices are low and the people are friendly and welcoming.
We spent two years exploring it's delights and it is one of the places that I would definitely return to...

Pavalijo

Visit site
yes I was thinking of visiting the rias, any info about them book wise?

We are heading down the west coast of France next year (finishing either La Rochelle or crossing to the Rias) and then spending 2018 in the Rias (possibly Algarve at the end of the year).
Google "Spanish Rias sailing blog" and you will find a few good ones that will give you a good flavour.

An odd few bloggers have sailed through the Rias very quickly and more than one has expressed surprise at their beauty and interest and regret that they have friends with plane tickets booked to Faro in a few weeks time.

We have friends who set off a few years ago from Plymouth in June, expecting to overwinter in the Mediterranean - it took them 3 years to get there! And that is our plan.

I am now searching through blogs to get ideas for France - places to add and those to leave off the itinerary and other useful tips - they are a great resource.

Look out for us next year Robertj,
Paul

jdc

Visit site
It depends on so many factors! In particular whether for one year or several. A country worth visiting for a season, but probably not several, is Brazil. Especially the area around Ilha Grande:

- near Rio so good for internatonal transport or culture
- pretty unspoilt but loads of bars and restaurants, at reasonable prices
- enough sheltered anchorages, not to mention 365 islands in the bahia de Ilha Grande
- spectacular fishing, wildlife and birds
- wonderful beaches and swimming, snorkelling or diving
- locals very welcoming and pro-British
- little crime: very little compared to that in most Carribean countries

The Brazilians apply reciprocal passport / visa requirements. US citizens are singled out for finger-printing, citizens of Schengen cuntries are given 3 months with out the possibility of extension, British citizens are given 3 months with another 3 months on request. However we met loads of Eu citizens who keep their boats here permanently.

Loads to like, and time spent in the spectacularly beautiful archipeligo of Fernando de Noronha doesn't count as time in Brazil so can be visited on the way in or out.

I hated Salvador however and would advise going further south, eg to Vitoria or Rio as the land-fall if coming from Europe.

Last edited: