Best country

robertj

Visit site
What's people's views on the best livaboard country to cruise.
Somewhere that nice but reasonable to the pocket?

NornaBiron

www.flickr.com
Greece. Plenty of islands to visit, lovely anchorages, very cheap town harbours/quays, easy access to UK, good tavernas, good provisioning, as busy or secluded as you like.

Tranona

Visit site
No "best". Lots of choice depending on what you are looking for, the amount of time you have available and depth of pockets.

Palarran

Visit site
I've got a ton of Caribbean stamps as I kept my catamaran there for two years before heading to the Med. IMO, they are day and night different and shouldn't be judged based on the cost. That said, if you were comparing them on cost alone, I'd say they are nearly the same for food. Greece gets very boring after awhile as there is virtually no ethnic restaurants. But there can be some really bad food in the Caribbean and even the worst in Greece is pretty edible. There are almost zero spots in the Caribbean where you can dock for near zero cost and a thousand in Greece. But the anchorages are probably nicer and safer in the Caribbean. All in all, I'd choose Greece first but having said that, I'm pretty sure I'm going to head back there next year after 5 seasons in Greece. Gotta change the scenery every once in a while.

macd

Visit site
Some people aren't getting it. The question was 'about the best livaboard country to cruise'.
The Caribbean is a country in the same way that the Mediterranean is a country: i.e. not one little bit.

Hence, there is no such thing as a 'Caribbean' passport stamp, since a country of that name does not exist. Of course plenty of countries in the Caribbean (by which many people seem to mean the Antilles, anyway) will happily stamp your passport.

Last edited:

capnsensible

Visit site
You still sitting on that bollard ? :)

OK, stamp dit.

Was in Mustique, part of one of the Caribbean countries (.) on a mooring outside Basils Bar. As you do.

Anyway, on the shore are 2 houses, the Blue House and the Pink house. No points for guessing. Soo, went into one to get postcards, 10 for the use of. 'And 10 stamps please'. 'Dont got stamps mon, go to de school, thats also de post office.' 'Ta'.

Bit of a sweaty walk up the hill, find school, find teacher, get her to open broom cupboard size post office, wave to kids (polite and well dressed, brill).

'10 stamps please.' 'We only got 6.' 'Er, OK, 6 then, ta.'

Had to go to St Vincent to get the rest! ;)

sailorgirl

Visit site
Having just crossed the Pacific I'd say Tonga for a charter holiday and Fiji for a longer cruise. Both countries are amazingly welcoming but Fiji pips Tonga by the sheer variety of islands and the challenging sailing conditions. Be prepared to be pretty self sufficient and to engage with the locals and their customs and you'll have an amazing cruise. I only wish I could have stayed longer... we will be back one day.

AndrewB

Visit site
I'm with Sailorgirl - Fiji. Easy liveaboarding with loads of anchorages among 100 or so inhabited islands, good facilities, comparatively cheap, English spoken, no charterers. Technically a visa is needed for stays over 4 months. One drawback is that like the Caribbean, it has a hurricane (cyclone) season. There are a limited number of safe places to lay up - but you can always head down to New Zealand.

mikenfi

Visit site
Heading to Greece, in the summer, changed out plans because we met a number of people that have been there full time for the last 10 years!!! It's good to you pocket I hear!