Best Chandlery - kitting out a new boat

LWR

Visit site
I need to completely kit out my boat - it's my first boat, so I need everything - Liferaft, galley equipment, flares, first aid etc...

I'd like to use a bricks'n'mortar chandlery - go along, have a browse, and try to enjoy the process of spending £2k on stuff that I need rather than want...

Can anybody recommend a great Chandlery to get all this stuff? I'd like a big one stop shop that has as much selection as possible - the marina chandlery stores in Eastbourne and Brighton that I've been to so far are sadly lacking.

Prepared to travel from Dover to Southampton for the best store.

Please post your recommendations.

Regards,

LWR

LWR

Visit site
Online is cheaper, but I wanted to see a range of equipment up-close - so, would prefer a reall old-fashioned shop!

Will33

www.farnellclarke.co.uk
I quite enjoyed my first visit to Aladdins Cave (think that was what it was called) in Hamble, brought some lifejackets that were cheaper than most of the online chandlers!

Over two floors so have quite a good selection

Will

burgundyben

Visit site
Online chandleries may appear cheaper but you have to pay carriage and quite rightly as you point out its not the same and being able to see it and in the case of life jackets etc try it on.

To be honest I find the Alladins cave chain pretty poor, Marine Superstore in Port Solent is Good but for me best is Shamrock Chandlery in Southampton, comprehensive stock, run by boaty people who are helpful and interested, princing much of a muchness with the others.

burgundyben

Visit site
forgot to say, I worked in a swindlery in my youth, if you spent over a grand we gave a 10% discount, well worth a bit of a haggle if youre spendin a reasonable amount.

Petrolia

Visit site
Like you I like to browse in the real world.
I have also used Russel Simpson in Newhaven a couple of times. Spent several hundred each time.

Not that big I admit but they have most things. I got good advice & If you ask you'll get discount. (I did) But you have to ask. Don't ask, don't get.

When I later checked the prices of the same goods online for most things there was hardly any difference.

Petrolia

Dave_Snelson

www.makeyourowngarments.com
I can't really help you because I am based in N Wales and I do use a great chandlers - Glaslyn Marine...but not for all things. I try to support him where possible.

The thing about supporting your local chandler where possible is that come the day that you need a 20p widget (and that day will come for sure!) and you boat won't sail without it, you will need the chandler to supply you. And if he ain't got enough customers, he won't be there.

So its a balancing act between an online store like Force 4 who are very good and using a good local shop when you do finally find one.

I doubt you would find all the kit you need under one roof anyway (but I may be proved wrong).

Good luck and have fun doing it anyway.

Boathook

Visit site
Re: Best Chandlery - kitting out a new boat re Dave_Snelson

I agree with Dave. I support my local chandlery for most things and find that it works both ways. Recently, for orderd goods he has matched on line prices and once they know you you can buy and easily return goods.

LWR

Visit site
I'd love to support my local chandlery - however at Eastbourne it's an outboard shop that is no bigger than a newsagents - I want to be able to kit my boat out in one fell swoop.

stevebrassett

Visit site
I use Mailspeed for most of my stuff. They've just opened a branch at Southsea Marina in Portsmouth. It's a bit closer to you than Southampton, but I haven't visited that branch.

Petrolia

Visit site
I'm at Eastbourne as well.
Isn't there supposed to be a new chandlery opening as part of that new club house they've built ? Maybe I'm mistaken.

But as mentioned earlier Newhaven have a pretty good stock. I've recently got a new boat as well & they have been pretty good. As you'll know it's only a short drive. AND there are some boats to look at in the harbour /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Petrolia

LWR

Visit site
Ahhh - Petrolia - I've been admiring your Nimbus in the inner harbour for a few weeks now. Beautiful!