Best broker in SE for a 28 foot Sports Boat

nonitoo

Visit site
Hi there,

I've been away for various reasons for some time and we have decided that it is time to move on and intend selling our boat.

Any suggestions for a suitable broker for the sale of a 4 year old Bayliner 275SB powered by a 200 hp diesel though a Brovo III outdrive?

We are based in the SE.

Many thanks

Tom

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
If the boat's in Dover, it might make sense to put it with Essex Boatyards. They have significant presence in the market and normally get a good press when they're mentioned on here. If you wanted to have the boat moved to their Yard, it can probably be done more easily than moving it to one of the brokers in the Solent.

Ancasta have a good rep, and I had a good experience when I bought a second hand boat through them, but you'll need to check their commission rates - they normally operate on a percentage basis but they have a minimum amount as an underpin, which makes them uncompetitive below a certain price - though I don't think it will have a bearing in your case.....

EugeneR

Visit site
Thanks everyone, I wondered if Essex Boatyards might be quite a convenient Broker.

They quote 8% - is this standard ? Is it normally negotiable ?

Tom

Everything is negotiable - it's easier if you give them reasonable justification for why you are asking them to go down. A few years back, I agreed 6% with them and, arguably, they should be able to go lower even.

However, at that age and given it's diesel, your boat should sell very quickly. Why do you not spend the few hours to put together a nice advert on sites like apolloduck.co.uk, boatsandoutboards.co.uk and boatshop24.co.uk?

If you need someone to show a potential buyer around, you can still offer the closest broker a small fee, say £500, if they show someone who then buys the boat. By limiting what you expect them to do, you limit the amount that they can justifiably charge you.

Also, if you sell yourself you are more likely to be motivated to clean the boat before a potential buyer arrives. Brokers on here may say that they do this however while looking for a sail boat recently I have seen many give-aways like puddles or wet upholstery where things are leaking, tools where repairs are in progress, etc.

Jim@sea

Visit site
I recently sold my boat and while I was waiting to be paid I watched a Bayliner on Ebay which was only getting silly bids and the auction ended with the boat unsold.
Then I received my money and found that the seller had taken the boat to a boatyard and it was put on display on brokerage, at more than the "Buy it now" price on Ebay.
I tried to get there to buy it but it was sold within 3 days of being put on brokerage.
So in this case if the Boatyard charged £1000 to sell it, it was worth it.