best antifouling paint for longest time

cfinch100

Visit site
hi
am looking to relocate to dover area and are in process of buying a cabin cruiser ,it has been antifouled in 2018 I am not sure about what sort of paint it is although its blue ,I was wondering what is the best paint as I am going to live on it and require it in the seawater for poss 3yrs plus ,is this possible, I was going to do this before it goes back into water which could be late February so a couple of months on dry dock to paint it ready ,looks like its fairly good painting no flaking ect
colin

V1701

Visit site
If she's out of the water now it's worth putting some fresh antifoul on (on top of what's already there) & if she's going to be used a lot or left in water for a few years personally I'd go for a hard racing antifoul so you can scrub it periodically (with the boat still in the water) without it all eroding away. What's already on there is likely a softer, eroding antifoul and if you're lucky there won't be twenty layers of it. Look around on board for any old paint cans which might tell you what's on there now. Good luck with your new life!

V1701

Visit site
Also replace any zinc anodes with new and give the props a good clean, I usually use a scraper followed by a (gentle) going over with a wire brush cup drill attachment. Some also use a propeller antifoul (spray can)...