Best adhesive for Stainless Steel

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Just completeing a small project on my boat and now want to attach a 1.5mm thick sheet of stainless steel to a plywood panel, I assume an epoxy resin is probably the best option but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
Epoxy the ply to seal it well.

Then clean (in case of amine bloom) and abrade it slightly (matt finish).

Put the stainless on with contact adhesive.

lw395

Visit site
I would think it depends on how big the panel is, and what loads the glue is expected to take.
If it's a large sheet just as a covering, I would think a flexible adhesive like contact adhesive would be a good choice. If there will be serious force trying to peel the steel off the plywood, it might not work.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Thanks for your replies, the steel sheet is about 500x500mm and is to go under the gimbal two burner stove. So no real pulling force to rip it off, just want it to stay there.

Quandary

Visit site
Thanks for your replies, the steel sheet is about 500x500mm and is to go under the gimbal two burner stove. So no real pulling force to rip it off, just want it to stay there.

The problem is that the two materials you are bonding have very different co-efficients of expansion, Motorsailors advice to coat the plywood to keep it dry is important and his suggestion of a contact adhesive which may allow some movement is the way to go. Otherwise your panel will warp and twist or if it cannot the bond will shear.

scruff

Visit site
Does it have to be an adhesive? What about a screw at each corner?

I'd personally go this route too. Drill the screw holes slightly oversized to allow the plate to expand & contract. Epoxy will just fail the opposite season to which you've afixed it - ie glue now, fail in summer when it expands. Glue in July & fail in January when it contracts...

sarabande

Visit site
What level of heat regime are you expecting on the steel ? Some adhesives will outgas when exposed.

Screws (dome heads) sound best.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
What level of heat regime are you expecting on the steel ? Some adhesives will outgas when exposed.

Screws (dome heads) sound best.

Not a lot, the original surface under the stove was grp, but I have changed construction to provide a drawer under the stove. The idea of the sheet of s/s is to provide an easy wipe down surface. so my intention was to glue rather than screw to maintain the plane smooth surface.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Thanks for all your suggestions, I was originally going to use CT1 but thought it worth asking the question, I will try the ‘epoxy the ply route abraid it’ and then use CT1 to stick it on, and keep fingers x’d.

MM5AHO

Visit site
I used CT1 on a few things that I should have used a sealant on, and to my cost. CT1 is for permanent bonds, and will even rip gelcoat off fibreglass a year later if trying to get glued bits apart!

Praxinoscope

Visit site
I used CT1 on a few things that I should have used a sealant on, and to my cost. CT1 is for permanent bonds, and will even rip gelcoat off fibreglass a year later if trying to get glued bits apart!

Exactly what I want, don’t want to have to do the job again a couple of years down the line.

Poignard

Visit site
Another possibility:

If this s/s sheet were to have its edges concealed below hardwood fiddles, it would not need to be glued down because the fiddles would keep it in place, and if the they were bedded on a sealant, eg CT1, anything spilled would not get between the s/s and the plywood.