Best 100W flexible solar panel

Ink

Visit site
Ha! Fat chance on a 30ft MAB.

The fully flexible panel I linked to above looks like the answer. There is also a 175W version I might find space for.

Separate controller to the one the existing 50W panel is using, or a single higher capacity controller?

- W

As to the controller. It really depends on what your existing controller can handle.

General rule of thumb is to divide the Watts by 10 and get the rating of the controller in Amps.

You have a 50W panel. You really only need a 5A controller.

225W of panel should really have something greater than a 20A controller.

Ink

PaulRainbow

Visit site
As to the controller. It really depends on what your existing controller can handle.

General rule of thumb is to divide the Watts by 10 and get the rating of the controller in Amps.

You have a 50W panel. You really only need a 5A controller.

225W of panel should really have something greater than a 20A controller.

Ink

A typical 20A controller is more than big enough for 225W of solar.

Kelpie

Visit site
Nick, can you find room on the guardwires? We've got 100w each side and they essentially take up the same spot as the dodgers. Can swing them up and down to follow angle of the sun.
The big plus about mounting here is that you can use rigid panels which are cheap as chips and almost completely idiot proof.

Beneteau381

Visit site
I'm looking for one that can be easily attached to the spray hood and equally easily removed when I want to drop the hood.

Any tips on how to attach it welcome.

Will 100W run a small compressor fridge? (We already have 55W solar)

- W
The UV gets to flexibles more easily. Use rigid, swivelled on the guard rail like mine. Cheaper too. My 250 watts is good enough to allow us to exist off grid.

D

Deleted member 36384

Regarding guard wire mounts. I fitted canopy tube, frame clamps, onto the stanchions and two stainless poles parallel to the guard wires to mount other stuff.

It’s a very easy way to fit rigid poles horizontally provided the dimensions of the stanchions can be accommodated.

Fittings from herehttps://www.sheridanmarine.com/category/canopy-fittings

Beneteau381

Visit site
Regarding guard wire mounts. I fitted canopy tube, frame clamps, onto the stanchions and two stainless poles parallel to the guard wires to mount other stuff.

It’s a very easy way to fit rigid poles horizontally provided the dimensions of the stanchions can be accommodated.

Fittings from herehttps://www.sheridanmarine.com/category/canopy-fittings
Thats what I did, but friends have used U clamps on the wire

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
The UV gets to flexibles more easily. Use rigid, swivelled on the guard rail like mine. Cheaper too. My 250 watts is good enough to allow us to exist off grid.

The Renology panel is guaranteed 5 years... looks like a cheap quick fix...

Eventually, if I live long enough and fix the other issues (see new PBO thread) , a more structural solution can be sought.

- W

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Nick, can you find room on the guardwires? We've got 100w each side and they essentially take up the same spot as the dodgers. Can swing them up and down to follow angle of the sun.
The big plus about mounting here is that you can use rigid panels which are cheap as chips and almost completely idiot proof.

Looking forward to seeing your solution in the flesh (silicone) soon.

- W

lustyd

Visit site
What about this one? Says it will bend up to 240 degrees.

https://amzn.to/3AOhDrZ

I have one solar panel with its own controller, should I get a more powerful controller and wire both panels into it, or get a separate controller for the new panel?

- W
I have two of those Renogy panels and they’re excellent. 104W output from each for a few hours either side of noon and they use the new plastic that won’t dull or break like the older flexible panels did.

lustyd

Visit site
People dont moan, they report real life events. Flexible where we are dont last long
Yes, old panels in the old days used to have issues and people keep moaning about those issues with older panels despite it being a solved problem. ETFE panels do not suffer those issues and were specifically developed to prevent them. I have seen zero reports of ETFE panels suffering those problems, if you have other information you'll need to show specific panels with those issues and confirm they are ETFE. If not, stop moaning!

lustyd

Visit site
at a very useful 4 lbs ?
I really don't think the panel is that heavy so that may include packaging. I lift mine in and out of a locker every time I use them and they feel pretty lightweight, I'm sure I'd have noticed nearly 2KGs.

cherod

Visit site
I really don't think the panel is that heavy so that may include packaging. I lift mine in and out of a locker every time I use them and they feel pretty lightweight, I'm sure I'd have noticed nearly 2KGs.
i thot that was very light , certainly compared with the fixed ones which are about 10 times that weight .

lustyd

Visit site
It might well be correct, but in use they feel lighter. Most people won't be moving them all the time but for me they are perfect, and that they produce 104% of their rated power is a great bonus!