Bermuda....Hurricane approaching.

Laser310

Visit site
I've been there many times; most recently in June after the Newport to Bermuda race.

This looks like not a direct hit, but still close enough to get hurricane force winds. The strongest winds will be southerly, so the south shore beaches and hotels will get hammered.

Peak forecast for Friday-Saturday is S winds 70kts with significant wave height 20-30ft.

Unfortunately, for those boats in hamilton harbour, and elsewhere on the island, it's pretty difficult to move them to anywhere safer than where they are. But even in the last storm in 2020, I don't think there were significant losses in the harbour.

Most housing in Bermuda is pretty robust. Also, the island is high enough that storm surge should not be a big problem for most people. Flooding from rain can get pretty bad there though.

Last edited:

Laser310

Visit site
today's forecasts seem to have the track a little closer to Bermuda, on average.

NOAA has 9.5m significant wave height in today's atlantic analysis

Laser310

Visit site
Category 2 Paulette in 2020 was a direct landfall on Bermuda.

They had no fatalities.

They are generally pretty well prepared for these.

Of course, they have a much better situation, than say The Bahamas, where whole islands barely exceed 5ft above sea level.

capnsensible

Visit site
Yeah, Bermuda is a relatively wealthy place, I think. The quality of buildings shows that with the solid raincatcher roofs on private houses.

I believe its flying glass from windows that can cause a lot of injuries.