Beneteau Wizz

aitchw

Visit site
Anyone out there know anything about these boats? Are there any UK users who sails one?
I am close to deciding whether to buy a ysed one and any input would be appreciated.

Howard

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
There are many owners etc here Howard (self included), which one are you thinking of buying and how old, extras etc. You will get a good response fairly quickly.

aitchw

Visit site
David,
This is part of the problem. I do not know except that is about 14 foot, foam filled GRP hull, sails with jib and main uses a wishbine boom and displaces about 70kgs.
I have a holding deposit on it subject viewing this weekend. It is advertised on http://www.nationwideboatsales.co.uk/forsale/ViewBoat.asp?Article=1011907412891. I can find no web pages and the Beneteau site only refers to it in it's history database as being first produced in 82 and still in production.
If you look at the brochure shot used in the ad. the main appears to be sleeved onto the mast.
I am looking for a cheap, fast fun boat to sail with my lad and this looks good.
If you get chance to look at the ad. let me have your impressions.

Thanks for the quick response. I have found it hard to find a good, well used forum. Is this the best one?

Thanks.

Howard

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Howard, apologies, because there are so many abbreviations used on these forums, I mistook your Wizz for meaning wizzards! Had never heard of the Wizz up until now, looked at the ad and a few things come to mind. Check where the mast goes into the hull for repairs/crazing, it looks like the old windsurfing type boom. Mast breakages at the point of connection used to be a problem on older w/surfers, look for wear there as well. Other than that - caveat emptor at that money. This is probably not the best site for this type of boat but I know of no others, no doubt you have looked at Y&Y? You could try the Ben owners at a push or a search on yahoo/google which will translate any french articles. good luck.

ps curiosity getting the better of me, have just had a look at the ben owners, not alot mentioned, there is one registered to the UK but that doesn't mean alot. Originally there were 3,625 built, it is a Finot design which is not a bad thing, thinking about the hull construction, you might weigh it (if possible) to see how much water it has absorbed. Beginning to think it sounds pricey - Yorkshire Influence coming out here:)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by david_e on Mon Feb 18 19:53:35 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

aitchw

Visit site
David,
Thanks for the advice on the mast mounting. I know that at this price I would be advised to be wary.
As to the searches and the Beneteau Owners Club I have done all of those things. I did e-mail Beneteau customer services in France and they have kindly offered to send info (in French). I should be able to handle that with a little help from a dictionary.
I was hoping to find a user of this type of boat to get an idea of it's sailing characteristics but what the heck, if it is reasonably sound I will probably go for it.
The whole exercise is aimed at getting my son out on the water to see if he takes to it. Hence the wish not to have too much invested in it. I can at least single hand this and get some fun out of it myself.

Thanks for the input.

Howard