Beneteau Antares 760 wheelhouse window replacement and wood finish

John Willis

Visit site
I am looking at buying a 2008 Antares 760 with a 200hp Nanni. Does anyone know if the PMMA glazing of the wheelhouse doors and windows ever need to be replaced and if so where can one source the materials?

Also what did Beneteau use to finish the interior woodwork and what have other owners used to renovate it?

PS Apologies if I have broken any rules by asking two disparate questions in one post.

Pleinmont

Visit site
Hi John
Using my powers of deduction I believe we spoke yesterday about 760s :)
Thankfully I've not had to worry about replacing any of the glazing so not sure about that but re the woodwork I have a feeling it's Sapele.
I may have read about it somewhere in an old brochure.
Some of it may be a veneer though.

Again, not had to renovate any of the interior woodwork yet either as it's been pretty hardwearing (usually keep the curtains closed and dry off any water to avoid stains).

John Willis

Visit site
Thank you. I agree the wood is veneered but was just wondering whether they could be varnished when the time comes.

In my experience perspex, which I think the PMMA side windows on the 760 are (?) will eventually craze. I was also wondering whether on can obtain spare door/window fittings. Just thinking ahead

Pleinmont

Visit site
The dealer is prob the best place to start John
Had to look for a few pieces over the years like door locks etc, South Pier Marine Jersey (or any of the other Ancasta places) can usually find you parts.

Could prob varnish the wood - I've not gone there yet as would probably make it worse as not practiced at it :eek::)

John Willis

Visit site
Thats brilliant thanks. Sorry to wander off thread again, but do you know a Jersey surveyor whom you would trust to do a pre-purchase survey?

Plum

Visit site
I am looking at buying a 2008 Antares 760 with a 200hp Nanni. Does anyone know if the PMMA glazing of the wheelhouse doors and windows ever need to be replaced and if so where can one source the materials?

Also what did Beneteau use to finish the interior woodwork and what have other owners used to renovate it?

PS Apologies if I have broken any rules by asking two disparate questions in one post.
Hi. My 760 is 25 years old and none of the side or wheelhouse windows are showing any crazing. However 7 years ago I made and fitted an exterior fabric cover to the front and side glazing in order to extend the life of the side ones. I have replaced the glazing in the three hatches which were crazed so these were obviously of a different grade on PMMA.

The only piece of interior woodwork I have had to renovate was the galley lifting top. I removed the varnish back to bare veneer, revarnished with 2 coats a Temac clear varnish followed by 2 of a matt varnish (cant remember make) as a full gloss would look out of place compared to all the rest.

Edit: I used Ronseal matt varnish (definitely not the water based one! )

Last edited:

Pleinmont

Visit site
Thats brilliant thanks. Sorry to wander off thread again, but do you know a Jersey surveyor whom you would trust to do a pre-purchase survey?
Sorry no, but a call to a few of the brokers over there might turn up the same names who are well regarded...

John Willis

Visit site
Hi. My 760 is 25 years old and none of the side or wheelhouse windows are showing any crazing. However 7 years ago I made and fitted an exterior fabric cover to the front and side glazing in order to extend the life of the side ones. I have replaced the glazing in the three hatches which were crazed so these were obviously of a different grade on PMMA.

The only piece of interior woodwork I have had to renovate was the galley lifting top. I removed the varnish back to bare veneer, revarnished with 2 coats a Temac clear varnish followed by 2 of a matt varnish (cant remember make) as a full gloss would look out of place compared to all the rest.

Edit: I used Ronseal matt varnish (definitely not the water based one! )
Plum, did you reglaze the hatches yourself and if so was it relatively simple?

Plum

Visit site
Yes, did them myself. Depends on your idea of "simple", needs care. Think I made some notes on this forum about it, will see if I can find them. Did mine 8 years ago and still as good as new.

Plum

Visit site
Yes, did them myself. Depends on your idea of "simple", needs care. Think I made some notes on this forum about it, will see if I can find them. Did mine 8 years ago and still as good as new.
Fitting new acrylic glazing to Lewmar hatches on Beneteau Antares 760.
You can buy acrylic sheet from many places. I bought mine from Perspex Clear Cast Acrylic Sheet Cut to Size - Simply Plastics they will cut to your specified sizes including the radiused corners. I needed the corners of the acrylic radiused to a size not quoted on their website ordering system but an exchange of emails got them to do the size I wanted. Acrylic can come in different grades, with different properties, some deteriorate quicker than others in UV/sunlight but the Perspex brand of acrylic is one of the better ones and when you buy the sheet the protective film on both sides that it comes with will be printed with the Perspex trademark/brand name. Some suppliers supply with plain protective film with just the single small word “Perspex” on it even though it is not genuine Perspex. Recommended you ensure you buy the genuine Perspex brand. That is what I got from Simply Plastics.

For the hatch in the heads, just unscrew the hinges and remove the catches. Drill the holes for these really carefully in the same location and same size as even a half millimetre out may result in a water leak. Use the old acrylic as a template, clamped together. Drill with a sharp drill at a slow speed to avoid melting the plastic.

For the fore-cabin and wheel-house hatches, first you need remove the opening part from the frame so you can take them home to work on. Remove the bonded in acrylic without scratching the anodising on the aluminium. Cut through the adhesive with a thin sharp blade then remove all trace of the adhesive from the aluminium. The best tool is a 20mm x 150mm strip of 6mm thick acrylic with one end sharpened like a wood chisel with a 45 degree bevel. I bedded the Perspex on 3M™ VHB™ double sided adhesive foam tape 12mm wide (bought on eBay) which can be coaxed around the radiused corners without cutting it and without any puckering. Bedding on tape is much easier than bedding onto a mastic sealant which can be very messy and tricky to ensure a neat finish on the inside, don’t forget to peel of the protective film from the underside of the acrylic before laying it onto the double-sided tape. You only get one chance to get it central in the frame, once the acrylic touches the double sided tape it does not come off easily!. Mask and fill the 4mm gap around the acrylic with Dow Corning 791 silicone weatherproof sealant (as recommended for this application by Dow Corning and available from Screwfix). Smooth off flush then peel off the masking and leave to set before refitting to the boat.
Fore-hatch: - Acrylic size 470 X 340 X 10mm thick + R60 corners (check yours are the same! size). Wheelhouse hatch: - acrylic size 360 X 215 X 10mm thick + R60 corners (check yours are the same size). My heads portlight is the Lewmar "old style" standard portlight. Produced 1982-1998. Acrylic size is 8 X 117 X 264 with 36mm radiused corners. If you have the later style the size may be different.

Last edited:

John Willis

Visit site
Fitting new acrylic glazing to Lewmar hatches on Beneteau Antares 760.
You can buy acrylic sheet from many places. I bought mine from Perspex Clear Cast Acrylic Sheet Cut to Size - Simply Plastics they will cut to your specified sizes including the radiused corners. I needed the corners of the acrylic radiused to a size not quoted on their website ordering system but an exchange of emails got them to do the size I wanted. Acrylic can come in different grades, with different properties, some deteriorate quicker than others in UV/sunlight but the Perspex brand of acrylic is one of the better ones and when you buy the sheet the protective film on both sides that it comes with will be printed with the Perspex trademark/brand name. Some suppliers supply with plain protective film with just the single small word “Perspex” on it even though it is not genuine Perspex. Recommended you ensure you buy the genuine Perspex brand. That is what I got from Simply Plastics.

For the hatch in the heads, just unscrew the hinges and remove the catches. Drill the holes for these really carefully in the same location and same size as even a half millimetre out may result in a water leak. Use the old acrylic as a template, clamped together. Drill with a sharp drill at a slow speed to avoid melting the plastic.

For the fore-cabin and wheel-house hatches, first you need remove the opening part from the frame so you can take them home to work on. Remove the bonded in acrylic without scratching the anodising on the aluminium. Cut through the adhesive with a thin sharp blade then remove all trace of the adhesive from the aluminium. The best tool is a 20mm x 150mm strip of 6mm thick acrylic with one end sharpened like a wood chisel with a 45 degree bevel. I bedded the Perspex on 3M™ VHB™ double sided adhesive foam tape 12mm wide (bought on eBay) which can be coaxed around the radiused corners without cutting it and without any puckering. Bedding on tape is much easier than bedding onto a mastic sealant which can be very messy and tricky to ensure a neat finish on the inside, don’t forget to peel of the protective film from the underside of the acrylic before laying it onto the double-sided tape. You only get one chance to get it central in the frame, once the acrylic touches the double sided tape it does not come off easily!. Mask and fill the 4mm gap around the acrylic with Dow Corning 791 silicone weatherproof sealant (as recommended for this application by Dow Corning and available from Screwfix). Smooth off flush then peel off the masking and leave to set before refitting to the boat.
Fore-hatch: - Acrylic size 470 X 340 X 10mm thick + R60 corners (check yours are the same! size). Wheelhouse hatch: - acrylic size 360 X 215 X 10mm thick + R60 corners (check yours are the same size). My heads portlight is the Lewmar "old style" standard portlight. Produced 1982-1998. Acrylic size is 8 X 117 X 264 with 36mm radiused corners. If you have the later style the size may be different.
Brilliant, thanks Plum