Bene- transom popped out

Leighb

Visit site
Errrm, surely transoms on wooden boats are attached as a panel in a similar way? Unless it's canoe stern or smack I guess. But they wouldn't have a rudder deeper than the keel, usually being very low aspect ratio.

Wooden boats have their transoms attached not only to the planking, but also with substantial "knees" to the keel and other longitudinal strong timbers. It is very unlikely that the transom could "pop out" unless there was a bizarre failure of all the fastenings.

Signed Out

Visit site
Thanks LeighB, I'm sure it's true, and it's unlikely to happen certainly, but I was responding to Searush's reply, and is it not the case that transoms are attached on a vertical joint where the hull curves upwards? Purely being a pedant and devil's advocate as ever.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
This reminds me of the one that was doing the rounds a while back, about the ship that the front fell off.

Only this time it's the ship the back fell off.

But seriously. If a car had a minor accident, and failed in such a catastrophic manner, there would be lots of investigation, and probably a recall to correct the defect. Will that happen here?

Last edited:

al.carpenter

Visit site
What worries me here is not that the back fell off (almost) but how atrociously badly it seems to have been attached in the first place.
What worries me is that this yacht is certified CE to sail a few miles from the shore... and that you are probably better off sailing offshore where rocks are fewer... This is proof that these regulations are a lot of bulls..t and completely stupid. In always trying to make profits by cost cutting as much as possible workmanship, materials and manufacturing time, this is what you get. The owner of Wind was lucky it happened when beaching... a few miles out and in cold waters could have had a more dramatic end.

rhumlady

Visit site
Quote "But seriously. If a car had a minor accident, and failed in such a catastrophic manner, there would be lots of investigation, and probably a recall to correct the defect. Will that happen here?" Unquote

Have you any idea how many small cars get written off as beyond economical repair these days when they have only suffered a reletively minor bump?

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
(snip)

Have you any idea how many small cars get written off as beyond economical repair these days when they have only suffered a reletively minor bump?

Millions, but that's because of the cost of repairs. Modern cars are designed to crumple progressively to reduce damage to the occupants at the cost of damage to the car. Completely irrelevant comparison, I'm afraid.

However, if say, all Diatsu's or Audi's or whatever, were prone to breaking in half on bumpy roads it might be a slightly more relevant comparison.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
What worries me is that this yacht is certified CE to sail a few miles from the shore... and that you are probably better off sailing offshore where rocks are fewer... This is proof that these regulations are a lot of bulls..t and completely stupid. In always trying to make profits by cost cutting as much as possible workmanship, materials and manufacturing time, this is what you get. The owner of Wind was lucky it happened when beaching... a few miles out and in cold waters could have had a more dramatic end.

So you don't think that the flexing action of wind on the rig & waves on the hull might not have had a similar effect in a few years time?

Leighb

Visit site
Thanks LeighB, I'm sure it's true, and it's unlikely to happen certainly, but I was responding to Searush's reply, and is it not the case that transoms are attached on a vertical joint where the hull curves upwards? Purely being a pedant and devil's advocate as ever.

That is correct, however the means of attachment is entirely different, and the product of centuries of building wooden boats in such a way that the transom doesn't just pop out. :D

al.carpenter

Visit site
So you don't think that the flexing action of wind on the rig & waves on the hull might not have had a similar effect in a few years time?

I think that sneezing or even coughing inside might end up with the transom popping out. Don't let mackrels get their "hands" on a tin opener, they might want to get in...

Other threads that may be of interest