Ben 411 around the horn

kdf

Visit site
Don't want to start (yet) another ben/jen/bav rant but just read an interesting article in the French Voille Et Voillers (spelling probably wrong) mag about a Beneteau 411 that has just completed an Atlantic circuit including rounding the horn. Hit by one storm which lasted for 4 days with 24 hours of force 11. Boat was twice over on her side but came through just fine. Skipper felt the boat was probably not designed for such conditions but performed very well considering. Also said that the lightness helped the boat ride the waves better rather than sinking down into them. Also it was the shoal draft version.

Nicolas

Visit site
I read it yesterday (am french)

The guy did not get lost, he had already been round a Horn some years ago on an OVNI, and felt that Oceanis 411 was probably not so good for that, but not so bad. BUT (unfortunately) he did NOT make it round the horn that time

He went there with another guy, got F11 for too long and decided to come back, although he cleary indicates that the boat was probably not the main reason, but age, fear, and metaphysical questions.

He had to come all the way back single handed and has quite lots of fun there...
I have to find a way to take a couple of years holidays...

Samphire

Visit site
So what,Harry Pidgeon did something similar in 1921 to 1925 on his circumnavigation singlehanded in a flat bottom home built dory that I personally woulden't put in a bath.