Bembridge Harbour - Value for Money?

JamesS

Visit site
Pulled into Bembridge a few nights ago to be charged £14.25 for a 31 footer. Last December I was charged £12.50.

I was told I must have been lucky as £14.25 was 'last years' price so presumably another price hike is on the way.

It seems the visiting yachtsman is no longer welcome in the marina. The area for visitors is now restricted to the ouside of the first pontoon. Room for about 7 boats plus limited rafting.

Other boats will be directed to the new pontoons opposite Fishermans Wharf. If you go there, make sure you have your own means of getting ashore otherwise you will have to use the new water taxi. Conveinient maybe, but a dear do for mum, dad and two kids who just want to stretch their legs and have shower.

The pontoons seem to suffer from a distinct lack of water at low tide, in fact last week one was high and dry.

Ignore the entry times in the almanac. If you try to get a 1.5m draft vessel in ouside HW +/- 2hrs then you will probably end up on the mud.

If you want to visit the Isle of Wight, go to Yarmouth. Lovely town, helpful and friendly staff 24hr access - all for about a tenner.

You have been warned.

iangrant

Visit site
It's all supply and demand - we all keep going there so they do and charge what they want with us.
Nice beach round the corner though and a fine resteraunt on the sea front - shame about the stuff that people pump into the harbour - don't swim in there with your mouth open!

Ian

robp

Visit site
If this will continue into the season, it really is a shame. If by the outside of the first pontoon, you mean the most North, or North East?, part of the marina, then that is shallow too.

Last year they said that the pontoons off Fisherman's Wharf would be extended round and to ashore. I wonder, is that still to happen?

JeremyF

Visit site
I think that Bembridge is one of the nicest spots on the island, but its getting more difficult. As you say, there's only the outer of one pontoon for visitors at the marina, but they will allow mooring 4 abreast.

Not heard about connecting the new visitor pontoons to land, but that would be a great improvement for family cruisers who need to let the family go back and forth without the cost of the water taxi. Perhaps a flat fee per boat for as many trips as wanted would be a nice option for us - a bit like a Travelcard.

The major problem with Bembridge is not the cost, but the gradual silting up of the harbour. The marina dredged to 2m a year ago, but the main harbour is getting shallow. With the limited mooring, and lack of water, its increasingly going to be the domain of us bilge keelers, who can get in early enough to get the limited moorings

Jeremy Flynn

www.yacht-goldeneye.co.uk
New pics 11.02.02

JamesS

Visit site
Yes, work is underway for the pontoons to reach the shore but little appears to have happened over the past 3 months. The biggest problem will clearing the silt otherwise only bilge keelers need apply!

Even when the pontoons reach the shore, its a 20 minute walk around the Duver to the marina (handy for the beach though!)

Cheers

robp

Visit site
We draw 1.7 M and we have settled into the mud on the outside of that pontoon several times including last year. Not a big problem but it isn't 2m.

brians

Visit site
I was told the visitor's mid harbour pontoon was to be connected to the shore and that the old green building was going to be converted to visitors facilities, loos showers etc. Also, wait for it, a restaurant / bar at first floor level! I doubt we shall see any of this this year if ever.

Last weekend I was at Campers and was surprised that the promised space age facilities have not even beencommenced. Very permanent looking portacabins being installed though.