Belgium red diesel

philiphurst

Visit site
I've recently spent to weeks in Belgium visiting Oostende and Blankenberge. Had our passports stamped at the former on the way in and the latter on the way out. That was our only contact with the authorities during our time there. The maritime police handled the immigration, asked nothing about fuel nor did they ask to see covid passes. (I've been using road diesel for some years to avoid any probems when visiting Belgium). No contact with customs at any point.

That's not to say that there's no problem with red diesel, it's just that the point was never raised and that's been the case on each previous occasion. I guess we've been lucky.

shortjohnsilver

Visit site
That would be very helpful. I’ve been filling with white road diesel too for years and frankly the price is becoming untenable and I’m considering topping up in my marina with red.

Visit site
That would be very helpful. I’ve been filling with white road diesel too for years and frankly the price is becoming untenable and I’m considering topping up in my marina with red.

You might just find that red in the marina is more expensive than road diesel. I was shocked at the prices given the perception it would be cheaper.

Greg2

Visit site
You might just find that red in the marina is more expensive than road diesel. I was shocked at the prices given the perception it would be cheaper.

Worth shopping around if you can - last week it was £1.65 per litre at Titchmarsh and £2.30 per litre at Suffolk Yacht Harbour!

Daydream believer

Visit site
I've recently spent to weeks in Belgium visiting Oostende and Blankenberge. Had our passports stamped at the former on the way in and the latter on the way out.
May I ask. Did you have any issues emailing the belgian form in advance- not the UK 1331 one ( or not bother).
Did you go to the customs office on arrival at Ostend, or did Simon ( the HM) get them to come to you. At Blankenberge what was the procedure ie where was the customs office etc

philiphurst

Visit site
May I ask. Did you have any issues emailing the belgian form in advance- not the UK 1331 one ( or not bother).
Did you go to the customs office on arrival at Ostend, or did Simon ( the HM) get them to come to you. At Blankenberge what was the procedure ie where was the customs office etc
No problems emailing the pre-arrival and departure forms to the Belgian authorities. I visited the maritime police office on arrival at Oostende to have our passports stamped. They gave the impression that a visit to customs was not expected. Other UK vessels seemed to have the same experience. I think it's fair to say that boats registered for Oostende voor Anker have been given some preferential treatment in the past especially in terms of the problems with red diesel and that this may be the case with the new rules.

Having entered Belgium at Oostende I did't need to think about customs at Blankengerge. Prior to departure, I called the maritime police at Bruges and they despatched two officers to stamp our passports.

Have been back in the UK for more than a week and no response so far from UK customs. No surprises there. I imagine I'll be flying the Q flag for some weeks.

nortada

Visit site
[/QOUTE]
Have been back in the UK for more than a week and no response so far from UK customs. No surprises there. I imagine I'll be flying the Q flag for some weeks.
[/QUOTE]

Seem to recall that there is a specific length of time you are required to fly Q. After then, if nothing happens, you can lower it❓

philiphurst

Visit site
[/QOUTE]

Seem to recall that there is a specific length of time you are required to fly Q. After then, if nothing happens, you can lower it❓
[/QUOTE]
That makes sense. Will be removing it in a day or two anyway as I'll take a nil-response as a lack of interest. ;-)

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com

A few weeks back, I sailed my previous boat to Falmouth (from Brittany) for her new owner.
Upon arrival contacted National Yachtline and emailed form 1331.

14 hours later, I still hadn't heard anything from anyone.
Contacted National Yacht Line by phone. Was told they still hadn't heard anything from anyone and that I should stay aboard.
Somewhat annoyed I contacted Border Force (Plymouth) by phone.
Was told that I had been cleared pretty much as soon as they received form 1331 and that I should have been informed by National Yachtline ages ago.
I was also informed that HMRC will only contact you should they have 'questions'.

Loweredflag Q and took it from there.

Have mentally written off National Yachtline as a WOMBATs. (Waste Of Money Brains And Time).

philiphurst

Visit site
A few weeks back, I sailed my previous boat to Falmouth (from Brittany) for her new owner.
Upon arrival contacted National Yachtline and emailed form 1331.

14 hours later, I still hadn't heard anything from anyone.
Contacted National Yacht Line by phone. Was told they still hadn't heard anything from anyone and that I should stay aboard.
Somewhat annoyed I contacted Border Force (Plymouth) by phone.
Was told that I had been cleared pretty much as soon as they received form 1331 and that I should have been informed by National Yachtline ages ago.
I was also informed that HMRC will only contact you should they have 'questions'.

Loweredflag Q and took it from there.

Have mentally written off National Yachtline as a WOMBATs. (Waste Of Money Brains And Time).

Sounds like they're as cluless and disorganised as one might expect them to be. I won't waste any more time on them. They have the paperwork, I've complied - as far as I'm aware - so it's their move. From what you've said its probable that I've already been cleared and they've missed the part where they tell me that.

Black Sheep

Visit site
I've not called them [yachtline]. I've sent them the required paperwork but no response as yet.
They have the paperwork, I've complied - as far as I'm aware - so it's their move. From what you've said its probable that I've already been cleared and they've missed the part where they tell me that.
If you haven't called Yachtline, it's no surprise they haven't told you to take down your Q flag, or whether you're cleared.

The guidance here: Sailing a pleasure craft that is arriving in the UK says: "When arriving direct from outside the UK you must report your vessel’s arrival to the National Yachtline.... If you’re arriving from outside the UK, the National Yachtline will ask you to submit form C1331."

I make no judgement on whether the procedures make sense, but my reading is that although you thought you had complied, I don't think that you have. Yachtline and C1331.

dunedin

Visit site
I've not called them. I've sent them the required paperwork but no response as yet.
As BlackSheep says, I believe it is mandatory to phone YachtLine, as well as submitting the C1331 - though I admit I have not read the very latest updates yet, and the whole thing is a typical un-joined up mess (as indicated by the need to email to three places, rather than send once and they forward internally).

philiphurst

Visit site
As BlackSheep says, I believe it is mandatory to phone YachtLine, as well as submitting the C1331 - though I admit I have not read the very latest updates yet, and the whole thing is a typical un-joined up mess (as indicated by the need to email to three places, rather than send once and they forward internally).

Thanks for that. Will check the rules and call them if necessary.

philiphurst

Visit site
If you haven't called Yachtline, it's no surprise they haven't told you to take down your Q flag, or whether you're cleared.

The guidance here: Sailing a pleasure craft that is arriving in the UK says: "When arriving direct from outside the UK you must report your vessel’s arrival to the National Yachtline.... If you’re arriving from outside the UK, the National Yachtline will ask you to submit form C1331."

I make no judgement on whether the procedures make sense, but my reading is that although you thought you had complied, I don't think that you have. Yachtline and C1331.

Thanks. Will check again. My understanding was that the submitted form was the required notification but it looks like a phone call might be a wise move.

westhinder

Visit site

My experience of last week: I emailed C1331 form before departure from Belgium, got a reply confirming they had received it, and a couple of hours later an email confirming I had been cleared to enter the U.K. by Immigration. When in the 12 miles zone I called Yachtline, which turns out to be customs. The man had my C1331 in front of him, asked a couple of questions about allowed goods and goods to be declared and told me I was clear, I no longer needed to fly my Q flag. When I asked whether anyone was coming to the boat, the reply was no, I was good to go.
Returning home a couple of days later there appeared to be errors in my C1331, I was told when I called Yachtline. As I couldn’t put them right at that time I told him I was on my way and it would have to do for the time being and was asked to submit the correct version of the form later.
All the administration on both sides of the water adds a couple of hours work to a crossing. To what effect, I wonder?