BBC 2 tonight 9pm Boaty!

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
"Three men go to Ireland"
Dara O Briain, Griff Rhys Jones, Rory Mc Grath, on Irish canals from Dublin to Limerick.
Mignt be worth watching.
C_W

davidej

Visit site
I shan't watch!

Last time these three were on TV I got bored at the idiotic remarks (meant to be funny, I assume) made by the two non yotties trying to take the p*ss out of griff.

sorry to be a grumpy old man - rant over

Fire99

Visit site
I love the stuff Griff does on the water, so i'll be watching.

He's a bit like me in some ways (other than being about 25 years older) as very enthusiastic about the water but a bit grumpy too. :)

Hopefully there is enough content and not just continual 'banter for tv' going on.

Babylon

Visit site
"Three men go to Ireland"
Dara O Briain, Griff Rhys Jones, Rory Mc Grath, on Irish canals from Dublin to Limerick.
Mignt be worth watching.
C_W

Complete and utter feckin rubbish! Why are people assumed to be so stupid as to put up with this sort of senseless, aimless, un-enternaining, tosh?

binch

gradually diminishing with age. Now Europe
Visit site
Shannon

Cruised the length of the Shannon one easter about four years ago. Flooded. Cold as charity. But it was magic. Can highly recommend it. Better than French canals and certainly better than playing model boats on the English system.
Thought the broadcast was rubbish. Short on the voyage and the scenery, long on inane chit-chat between slebs.
My experience of boaty programmes by slebs is that they are tedious ego trips, while the sleb's ego is massaged by idolatrous BBC staff.

BUT there is a shortage of boat programmes except in France, where TF2 has the magnificent programme 'Thalassa'.

OGITD

Visit site
You are right!

My experience of boaty programmes by slebs is that they are tedious ego trips, while the sleb's ego is massaged by idolatrous BBC staff.

You are totally right, one of the few parts from the series which I found enjoyable was when Griff Rhys-Jones took his Yacht Undina along the south coast for a race with her sister ship…..nice Yachts and some good sailing footage.
I am guessing that part two will be much better….although from the excerpt they appear to do a lot of motoring.
Also Griff’s comment about it being a “complicated yacht”…..surely!....he / they should have had some time with it’s owner getting to know her before taking her out and continuing to shoot the series?
But I am still looking forward to part 2. :D

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
Has he

Disappointed, Rory McGrath made no contribution to any aspect of the programme & should be sacked...

not got something to do with the production company or is that Hatrick? i seem to recall he is worth a few bob through some production company or another thats why he is in everything, I may (and probably am) be wrong...

Blueboatman

Visit site
Well I wouldn't put myself or my boat antics on a telly programme ! Tax breaks or not.

Fair play to 'em. Look forward to seeing the 'best bits' on Youtube

Happy New Year everyone.

binch

gradually diminishing with age. Now Europe
Visit site
Lenny Henry

Remember Lenny Henry going on a highly publicised, expensively filmed transat race?
He was taken off before the finish and left the crew to end the voyage. I wonder how much he contributed to the "thrilling exploit"
There seems to be nobody at the BBC who has the slightest knowledge of boats and the sea. It probably dates back to the pre-war fleet review when the ships, and the commentato,r got lit up. Hic!