Bayliner vs Sealine

Downsize

Visit site
Phew.....

I'm sort of enjoying this debate but am now a little lost in the politics. Can someone throw me a line !!!

neale

Visit site
No No No....I am listening and still absorbing all this good advice. No decisions made yet...still looking.

I definitely will only be on the non tidal Thames for a while and so am taking the advice related to twin petrols and am shifting to looking for a single diesel with a bow thruster of 28ft and over

Any thoughts?

Funnily enough if you want a sportscruiser at that size a single engined version is in the minority. There are some Sealine S28's with singles as already mentioned, you might find the odd Bayliner 285 with single diesel, but this is the size where twins are more common. Bavaria did a 29 which sometimes came with single diesel but I think it might be out of budget. If you want that size I would include twins in your search or, if you are settled on a single with bow thruster, you might also need to look at some slightly smaller boats. You might find a Sealine 260 or 270 with single diesel.

neale

Visit site
I'm sort of enjoying this debate but am now a little lost in the politics. Can someone throw me a line !!!

Ignore the politics, enjoy the search for the right boat. You'll know it when you see it :D

Have you considered Sealine S23/S25 or 240's. All available with single diesel, might have had a bowthruster fitted and will be good for 4mpg at 20 odd knots. Fast motorboating doesn't get much cheaper than that.

Downsize

Visit site
Neale
I went for the S28 originally based on the fact when we looked around Bray this boat was sufficiently clean and modern enough for us to be happy to own, even down to the bed space under the cabin. Subsequently all the advice seems to steer clear of Petrol.

I need to re-asses, but a major consideration is being able to have a double bed space without putting together forward cushions, so the 28 looked good for that.

I'm now thinking that we may have to abandon the sports boat idea and go for a cruiser, such as a Princess to achieve our other criteria but accept that for our budget it will probably be a 1980's boat

No Regrets

Visit site
I wouldn't bust a gut for a Bowthruster, the last boats I have owned have been single shaft drives of 25 and 30 feet, and we have won quite a few few Boat handling competitions in them, against twin engined models many with bowthrusters.

Silverware count in the last three years is nearly into double figures, and I attribute it to a simple easy to handle craft to a large extent.

The fact is, once you 'feel' for your boat, and gain experience (Join a decent club!) you'll just have an instinct for what to do to place your boat where you want it.

Upon saying all this, I must confess to using our Wing, or Auxilliary engine for really tight parking in windy conditions. It's not essential, but does make life easy, although I do make a few cheeky/ tight moves by nature...

Also, in defence of single stern drive boats, although they lack the directional stability, you can turn them on a sixpence, and they steer in reverse too!

CX54WEK

Visit site
Neale
I went for the S28 originally based on the fact when we looked around Bray this boat was sufficiently clean and modern enough for us to be happy to own, even down to the bed space under the cabin. Subsequently all the advice seems to steer clear of Petrol.

I need to re-asses, but a major consideration is being able to have a double bed space without putting together forward cushions, so the 28 looked good for that.

I'm now thinking that we may have to abandon the sports boat idea and go for a cruiser, such as a Princess to achieve our other criteria but accept that for our budget it will probably be a 1980's boat

The S23/25 and S24 all have a permenant double berth, so no need to mess around putting berths up and down. The downside is that on boats of this size you will have to crawl through a hole to get at the berth. This hasnt proven to be a problem for us and three years on we are still happy with our S23. Also no need for a bow thruster. With a bit of practice you can make them dance and put them anywhere you wish.

Not everyones ideal boat but within budget, sensible running costs and sensible maintenance costs. Plus cheaper fees as well.

neale

Visit site
Neale

Most sportscruisers, right down to 21 feet, have a separate mid berth double. My Bayliner has possibly one of the biggest in a boat of its size. I think you need to get yourself around a few more boatyards and get on and off as many boats as you can.

CX54WEK

Visit site
Neale i think your Bayliner is the bargain of the year. Im surprised it aint sold yet. The OP would do well to have a look at that as well.

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
And no one has mentioned a Broom 30 yet......:rolleyes:

40k will buy you what you want, there are plenty out there just jump on and off as many as you can until you are happy.

oldgit

Visit site
Its like this.....

" sports boat idea "
Nothing wrong with the sports boat idea......but...........

You know your wife has probably got a pair of flash totally impractical shoes which are agony to wear,and which only get worn to posh do,s and evenings out and stuff and she spent afortune on em and she loves em to bits.
However the sigh of relief when she gets back indoors and kicks em off tells volumes.

Sports boats are bit like that,lovely to look at.... hell to own.:):):).
All in the humble opinion of me..

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
" sports boat idea "
Nothing wrong with the sports boat idea......but...........

You know your wife has probably got a pair of flash totally impractical shoes which are agony to wear,and which only get worn to posh do,s and evenings out and stuff and she spent afortune on em and she loves em to bits.
However the sigh of relief when she gets back indoors and kicks em off tells volumes.

Sports boats are bit like that,lovely to look at.... hell to own.:):):).
All in the humble opinion of me..

So very true!

£40k will get you a very wide choice of cruisers, and older can also = bigger assuming the survey is good. Yes, that ups some costs but the comfort increase is substantial. The bigger river boats will happily hits the salty bits if you are sensible, but you may not have the speed kick. A lots of bigger craft semi-retire to the river but, if looked after, can still go back to the sea when you wish.

http://www.boatshop24.co.uk/MzA1Mzc5MX5ZT0RIMDE=-Fairline_32_Sedan.html

http://www.boatshop24.co.uk/MzA4MDYzMn5GUEZPMDE=-Birchwood_33_Classic.html

http://www.boatshop24.co.uk/MTI1MjUzfkJTTUUwMQ==-Freeman_33_Sedan.html

All have lots more space than the S28 if that's a controlling facotr and, subject to survey, would all probably be suitable for XChannel and certainly for UK coatal trips.

landlockedpirate

Visit site
Nothing ever changes. Newby appears looking for opinions on a single engined petrol sportsboat and leaves convinced he has to buy a twin engined, oil burning museum piece or he will die in a ball of flames or if very very lucky go bankrupt first !

People are different, and so are boats.

I know that a single engined, displacement, shaft drive boat would be much better on the Thames than a sportscruiser, but some people prefer newer, more modern looking boats. With that in mind I will try and give a more balanced view.

Twin petrol engined boats are expensive to run, but not as bad as people have said. A modern 4.3 uses about 4lph at river speeds, if you run for 8 hrs a weekend thats going to cost you about £80 (A minor part of the ownership expense). Servicing will be about the same as a diesel outdrive set up (A single shaft drive would be the cheapest). I would consider buying a twin petrol boat for the river, but only if it was very cheap and rarely going to be taken out to sea. The S28 with twin petrols is rare, but I think its too much, I would buy it for 25-30k but I doubt the owner will go that low.

I dont think I have ever seen a single petrol engined S28 but there are other choices including the Bayliner 285 which is a tardis or lots of US sportscruisers. Regal, Maxum, Chapperal all made 28ft ish boats with single petrol engines. The slow speed 'wandering' mentioned can be reduced with the addition of a rudder on the outdrive.

If you want to go over 28ft , then IMHO you do need to go for diesel, either single or twin. Bayliner did produce a 32ft sportscruiser with twin 7.4l petrols, that would have been eye watering to run (Sealine even did the S34 with twin petrols !).

If you have 50k ish, find a nice diesel S28 either single or twin. If you want to spend less look for a petrol sub 28ft sportscruiser. As others have said, get out and have a look at as many as you can, you will know when you find the right boat for you, what ever that may be.

My last piece of advice is that what ever you decide to buy, pay the right price. Then if you decide you want to get rid of it, you can always sell.

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site

Nice weekender that Senator, just right for trips to somewhere nice to loaf Saturday night then come back Sunday. An upmarket version of what we did when based in Chi Harbour. Bembridge weekends:)

Downsize

Visit site
I liked the style of the Sealine Ambassador.....but there was something about the ad that did not quite ring true? Nice looking boat though

landlockedpirate

Visit site
All nice boats.

The Maxum 3000 is over priced by 10k

The Sealine 270, even with twin petrols is nice. At 20k its worth having.

The Sealine 255 is an older model, I would stretch to the 270.

The Maxum 2700 is a good buy at 23K, but I think its only got a narrow beam.

All IMHO

neale

Visit site
Neale i think your Bayliner is the bargain of the year. Im surprised it aint sold yet. The OP would do well to have a look at that as well.

I think it's a great boat for the money :D but probably not the right boat for the OP whose budget is much greater. That is unless he wants a great 25 footer with single diesel, bow thruster and lots of other stuff plus keep £30k in his bank account :p. Haven't really marketed it properly yet. Will be going all out in a month or two, so hope to be down to just one boat by the end of the season.