Bayliner vs Sealine

neale

Visit site
I am biased cos I have one but the S28 is a great boat. Personally I would take a look at this one with twin diesels, a diesel genny and eberspacher for £45k (I guess ONO)

Last edited:

No Regrets

Visit site
The boat we were looking at has twin Mercruiser 4.5L petrols with sterndrives.

OMFG. How unsalable is that going to be on the Thames!!

Reckon around 2 gallons per hour on the River, per engine.

A single engined Diesel would be under 1 gallon per hour.

No Regrets

Visit site
And on that note dont let the broker suck you in with tales of blinding fuel economy and ease of refueling petrol boats waterside. Its usually a load of cock and bull. Brokers prey on first time buyers to try and offload their unsold petrol boat stock onto them. You may manage fine on the non tidal river, after all petrol stations are to be found in most towns nowadays, but start to get more adventurous and have visions of heading onto the salty stuff and petrol avaliability becomes much more of an issue.

It would perhaps be more fair to name individual brokers of which you have enjoyed such treatment, rather than tarnish some decent blokes with the same horrid brush.

In defence of the local Thames brokers, I have always received fair advice, even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear!

Imagine how you would feel if somebody who didn't know you posted a threat about Sports Boat owners all being Tw@ts or similar. Clearly the decent brokers, of which there are many along the Thames, will be very unhappy, just like you would.

ChrisHanley

Visit site
stern-drive or shaft

I would advise you to buy a boat that is suitable for the environment it will be used in. The sports boat with stern-drives is happy in the salty stuff or down the estuary operating at its designed cruising speed.

Chugging along the non-tidal river at 8kmh will require constant steering correction as the vortex shedding occurs first on one quarter and then the other. Look at the wash created by a planning hull travelling at slow speed and watch how they constantly zig-zag despite the helmsman’s best efforts. I find this very frustrating/irritating and much prefer cruising at slow speeds in a boat with a displacement hull and a regular propeller shaft.

So, if you intend to make sea passages the sports boat is an option. If you propose to spend most of your time cruising up and down the Thames with the occasional trip to London I would not recommend anything with a stern drive.

Chris

Sulley

Visit site
If you want reviews and fuel consumption figures on a lot of the american boats take a look at http://www.boattest.com/ (the site has nothing to do with me) but as I have a Bayliner 285 there are some extensive tests on there and full consumption figures at all speeds/rpm.

Also if you moor at MDL marinas you get 21p off per litre of the published fuel prices, just some info for you.....

Call some of the marine engineers for maintenance costs for particular engines if you don't want to do work yourself. At least it will give you an idea for your budgeting.

Lastly, not all brokers are bad the one we brought from was truley fantastic.

Last edited:

CX54WEK

Visit site
It would perhaps be more fair to name individual brokers of which you have enjoyed such treatment, rather than tarnish some decent blokes with the same horrid brush.

In defence of the local Thames brokers, I have always received fair advice, even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear!

Imagine how you would feel if somebody who didn't know you posted a threat about Sports Boat owners all being Tw@ts or similar. Clearly the decent brokers, of which there are many along the Thames, will be very unhappy, just like you would.

Do we have a name and shame policy on here. Some forums dont appreciate that. If they dont mind here i will happily name the bad ones we found.

CX54WEK

Visit site
If you want reviews and fuel consumption figures on a lot of the american boats take a look at http://www.boattest.com/ (the site has nothing to do with me) but as I have a Bayliner 285 there are some extensive tests on there and full consumption figures at all speeds/rpm.

Also if you moor at MDL marinas you get 21p off per litre of the published fuel prices, just some info for you.....

Call some of the marine engineers for maintenance costs for particular engines if you don't want to do work yourself. At least it will give you an idea for your budgeting.

Lastly, not all brokers are bad the one we brought from was truley fantastic.

Here's some pics of our inappropriate petrol guzzling boat on the Thames :p

Surely if you get 21p off a litre of petrol you get a similar amount off a litre of diesel so the difference in cost per litre is very much the same. :D

No Regrets

Visit site
I would advise you to buy a boat that is suitable for the environment it will be used in. The sports boat with stern-drives is happy in the salty stuff or down the estuary operating at its designed cruising speed.

Chugging along the non-tidal river at 8kmh will require constant steering correction as the vortex shedding occurs first on one quarter and then the other. Look at the wash created by a planning hull travelling at slow speed and watch how they constantly zig-zag despite the helmsman’s best efforts. I find this very frustrating/irritating and much prefer cruising at slow speeds in a boat with a displacement hull and a regular propeller shaft.

So, if you intend to make sea passages the sports boat is an option. If you propose to spend most of your time cruising up and down the Thames with the occasional trip to London I would not recommend anything with a stern drive.

Chris

Yep, we tried that, but the OP doesn't seem to want to listen :p

Seriously, the more I think about it, the more I think how absolutely horrible a twin V8 Sterndrive sports boat is going to be above Teddington.

Wrong hull, wrong engines, wrong propulsion...as the nice man said 'There are a lot of twin petrol engined boats for sale up the Thames'

CX54WEK

Visit site
Yep, we tried that, but the OP doesn't seem to want to listen :p

Seriously, the more I think about it, the more I think how absolutely horrible a twin V8 Sterndrive sports boat is going to be above Teddington.

Wrong hull, wrong engines, wrong propulsion...as the nice man said 'There are a lot of twin petrol engined boats for sale up the Thames'

Cant imagine why:D

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
"Chugging along the non-tidal river at 8kmh will require constant steering correction as the vortex shedding occurs first on one quarter and then the other. Look at the wash created by a planning hull travelling at slow speed and watch how they constantly zig-zag despite the helmsman’s best efforts. I find this very frustrating/irritating and much prefer cruising at slow speeds in a boat with a displacement hull and a regular propeller shaft."

got to test a drive bayliner 245 on the thames when we were looking to buy our first boat and this statement was certainly true of the bayliner. But on our Sealine S23, this just doesn't happen at all. I can easily just point the boat in the direction I want to go, and it stays straight, without me having to touch the wheel. Only time this might not happen is when you get some gusty winds on some stretches on a windy day.
Our sealine S23 is fitted with a 'duo prop', so I assume that this is why our boat doesn't zig zag down the river, although I could be wrong. Might be worth checking if any boats you are looking at have this.

Sulley

Visit site
@ CX54WEK -Yes you do get 21p off both petrol and diesel :D

@ Neale - Yes, you are correct sorry I forgot to mention it would be US gallons.

@ inlandnewbie - We also have a duo prop which cuts out the zigzag.

CX54WEK

Visit site
@ CX54WEK -Yes you do get 21p off both petrol and diesel :D

@ Neale - Yes, you are correct sorry I forgot to mention it would be US gallons.

@ inlandnewbie - We also have a duo prop which cuts out the zigzag.

We have duo props which do seem to cut out the zig zagging but as a downside they dont half get chewed up if you get something (usually) wood stuck between them :(

Downsize

Visit site
Ears wide open...

No No No....I am listening and still absorbing all this good advice. No decisions made yet...still looking.

I definitely will only be on the non tidal Thames for a while and so am taking the advice related to twin petrols and am shifting to looking for a single diesel with a bow thruster of 28ft and over

Any thoughts?

Other threads that may be of interest