Bay Speed Limit

Should there be an enforcable speed limit within the confines of Cardiff Bay?

• Yes

Votes: 33 58.9%
  • No

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • Don't know

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters

snooty fox

Visit site
My daughter spends most of her time playing in the bay on her rib and she pays attention to other users , Inexperienced she was but she is getting educated the same way i was from other experienced boaters ,So DONT place a speed restriction on the bay put a size of vessel restriction on instead that will reduce the wash if thats the main complaint !

Zephyr362

Visit site
Snooty, I hope you're kidding! If you think that wash is proportional to length you know very little about boats or the issue in hand. I've seen some attrocious wash from speed boats of around 15-20 ft travelling at low speed as well as much larger vessels. Appreciation of the wash (and other bay users) is the issue rather than just speed or size of the vessel when it comes to wash.

If your daughter was involved in an accident, whether her fault or not then I'm sure there would be some serious questions. I hope that she learns to drive a car by going to a driving school and not by picking up the keys and learning for herself!
If your daughter does not fully understand the COLREGS, then she is illegally in charge of the boat, sure there are a lot of people in this situation and in some instances it causes an issue, usually pretty dramatically the bay is not a quite back water any more.

There have been some problems with jet skis on the South Coast hitting and putting holes in other boats so size isn't the main issue, speed is.

Morpheous

Visit site
Lots of sweeping statements being made.

Its not size or speed, it's competance.

The majority of collisions in sheltered waters are caused by lack of competenance of those responsible. It is of course true that most of the incompetant people were going too fast and more often than not in smaller boats.

You will never stop people new to boating, buying something cheap, whether it powered by motor, sail or paddle and just going off boating. And to be honest do want to stop this? My first boat a million years ago cost me £100 and I was out as often as I could. OK I did start with a school sailing club so did have few pointers.

What actually is the problem in cardiff bay (rhetorical) - well if there is one it would be wake. Wake will disturb the wildlife, moored boats and is a potential hazard to the less experienced.

So why don't we all agree voluntarily that we will all keep our wakes sensible and be responsible boaters. The last thing this country needs is any more preemptive regulation to avoid non existient or perfectly manageable problems.

So moving on, where are we going for lunch on Sunday? I fancy giving the Chepstow boat club pontoon a shot.

Zephyr362

Visit site
You're right Whitemischief, competance is a big issue but its lack is compounded by speed, trouble is the more you know the more you realise that there's a lot more to learn and the gaps in your knowledge.
If you think you know it all about boating, then you probably don't know that much at all!
That's why it's such good fun.

Would like to join you for lunch but have no engine in the boat, that's the job for this weekend.

Sneds

Visit site
Have to agree with Whitemischief, did I spell that corectly?

What is this pontoon at Chepstow?

ps We met at Watchet once, you were on your way to Padstow and and was hitching a ride on Who's F36 to Lundy - great weekend that was!

Morpheous

Visit site
Sorry sneds didn't read the rest of your post before being distracted by thoughts of the pub!!

Yes I remember, I think you caught my lines on the fuel berth? Maybe mymobo there too.

Now I'm sure there is somewhere I'm supposed to be....

Allan

Visit site
If your daughter does not fully understand the COLREGS, then she is illegally in charge of the boat, sure there are a lot of people in this situation and in some instances it causes an issue, usually pretty dramatically the bay is not a quite back water any more.
Zephyr,
Is the above true? I, like most boaters, have a understanding of the Colregs but would struggle to pass an exam on the detail.
Allan

Zephyr362

Visit site
Yes, it is the law to obey the COLREGS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Regulations_for_Preventing_Collisions_at_Sea
The Bay, as far as I know is now classed as inshore waters so is valid. While as far as I know you don't have to be able to prove that you have a working knowledge, if there is an incident and proven to be your fault which contravens the COLREGS then there will be fines or even jail.
http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga07...utions/mcga-ops-enforcement-prosecution07.htm
More at http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/lrgtxt...ns/mcgaprosecutions/dops_enforcement-2005.htm

Sneds

Visit site
I see what you mean, very good points.

There are lots of good books on the subject, one has a picture of a large ship about to run over a small boat! Written in a matter of fact and humourous manner.

Will post it's title if I can find the book!

Zephyr362

Visit site
As you say there are plenty of good books and it's a good time to read up being Winter and all that, the looseleaf almanac has a shortened version of the COLREGS in it and plenty of other interesting things to read up on. If nothing else plenty of interesting places detailed and pilotage to whet your appetite for the next season.
The basics are pretty straightforward to grasp and they do need to be second nature. I found the flip cards sold in the chandlers helpful as you could shuffle them and not just learn by rote, very helpful if you are going to sit ICC or higher. Reeds Skippers handbook is also a handy pocket sized read, plenty of info without being too detailed or complicated.

vikingsmb

Visit site
As you say there are plenty of good books and it's a good time to read up being Winter and all that, the looseleaf almanac has a shortened version of the COLREGS in it and plenty of other interesting things to read up on. If nothing else plenty of interesting places detailed and pilotage to whet your appetite for the next season.
The basics are pretty straightforward to grasp and they do need to be second nature. I found the flip cards sold in the chandlers helpful as you could shuffle them and not just learn by rote, very helpful if you are going to sit ICC or higher. Reeds Skippers handbook is also a handy pocket sized read, plenty of info without being too detailed or complicated.

In the bay, the big ribs are fine, never had an issue with them, good as gold, it's the aqua bus(I think) u have to watch esp with his huge wake when planing and he never gives way to anyone, also the boats in the club go bobbing up and down whenever he goes past- possible damage to members boats? I work as a ship chandler if you need contact details of stuff cheap, let me know.

Visit site
Perhaps we should just allow commen sense to prevail?

ie when no one else is out

Fine but common sense doesnt prevail. And in any case what about boats banging against their moorings when some twerp tries to do 30knots. And the noise issue for residents since some mobo drivers obviously dont like the idea of silencers? And wash affecting people in yacht tenders - I believe we have already had two or three deaths from people falling out of tenders

It isnt just an issue of collisions and safety.

Last edited: