Bay of Biscay on a good day

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
That's not particluarly windy probably about 40 to 45 knots, certainly not storm force. When it reaches storm force (53 to 63 knots and gusting) the vis is 100 feet in every direction including upwards in spray. To see what I mean this is Velsheda in the English Channel in 70 to 80 knot winds. I'm on the left helping to tie down the dinghy that had washed loose. http://weather.mailasail.com/Franks-Weather/Home

If anybody wants to copy the picture and pass it on please feel free to do so.

brianhumber

Visit site
Does not look that bad, always found the North Sea and Med worse than Biscay ( and I was approaching Ushant on the night of the Fastnet), although one night I was dropped out of my bunk off South Africa

Best weather slides I took in my time at sea are between Siddi Kerri and Malta on 250,000 ton tanker, oil urgently needed in Fos sur Mer so we did not slow engine down even heading straight into a F10 although SOG went down to well under 10kts if I remember correctly. Slides show complete deck immersion only king posts out of sea and spray covering them as well. Quite a sight but too much water around to see the forces bending the hull. A more gentle F8/9 would enable you to see the bow bending up and down relative to the stern accomodation.

Brian

Old Troll

Visit site
Old Troll

No you did not get it wrong. It is a very stormy day with a heavy and wicked looking sea. Do not really understand the offhand comments.
Methinks best to stay clear of Fareham Creek especially if one does not have a paddle in which to navigate what must be heavy seas indeed.

LauraKatie

Visit site
We did Biscay last Month and west coast of Portugal this Month.
57knt wind for 15 hours but took the right decision to stay well offshore. As long as you have the boat, strong crew and atitude to get through. These conditions are do-able

Atlantic coast of Portugal can be rather threatening in a blow this time of year. The shore line is always just a bit too close for comfort. Cape Vincent as challenging as any European headland yet get around the corner and its a walk in the Park.

wazza

Visit site
Well ok, I must be a pathetic as I thought they were big arse waves..
And I would NOT have wanfted to be out I'm it.. no thank you!!
I guess I must be a fair weather sailor!!

agurney

agurney.com
I've been very disappointed with Biscay. I've done the Portsmouth/Plymouth to/from Santander/Bilbao ferry crossing every October for the past few years and have been looking forward to seeing a decent swell (guarantees quiet bars and restaurants!) but the sea state's rarely been above moderate.

Grunter

Visit site
No you did not get it wrong. It is a very stormy day with a heavy and wicked looking sea. Do not really understand the offhand comments.
Methinks best to stay clear of Fareham Creek especially if one does not have a paddle in which to navigate what must be heavy seas indeed.

I would not say they are offhand comments, you can only judge/compare by your own experience, If your experience is such that what you see is no longer what you yourself would consider 'bad' then your comments would reflect that.
Its rough yes, unpleasant yes, but not all that bad.

Incidentally the worst for me was the med too, and I have heard it said that the bay gets you 1 in 5, dont know if that rings true with those that have frequented the bay?