Bavaria visit

qsiv

Visit site
Re: \"Keep to the old heavies....

Each to their own. For my part shoddily constructed things always irritate in the long run - and maintenance will become a bigger burden too.

I have a big, heavy cruising boat for family trips. I believe that better quality materials and higher standard of workmanship yields an inherently safer yacht, and with the family on board that matters, as we habitually sail in exposed waters - and are given to making longer passges than some. We pay the penalty in quieter conditions but the ability to 'live' on passage in rougher conditions is valuable.

Next year I am going the light displacement route - but that is different - no family, just racing and it is a different tool for a different job.

<hr width=100% size=1>

wakeup

Visit site

So to follow your logic, everyone who could buy a car has already bought one so we should see a massive decrease in demand for new cars.....get real.... there will always be a demand for new boats especially as this is an increasing hobby/sport, the Bav/Jen/Ben boats make the whole market more viable for you 'old salts' ultimately helping to bring the cost of this hobby down pro rata so you should encourage manufacturers such as Bav to prodcue boats as reasonable prices, they are helping to prop up all the manufacturers of kit you probably buy kit form and therfore you directly benefit.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Peppermint

Home in Chilterns, Boat in Southampton, Another bo
Visit site
Re: Bavaria are OK

The number I've sailed go from A to B in the same way as most of the mass produced yachts from France say.

Things I've noticed about them is that....

There is room for improvement when fitting joinery.

The bolt on bits are good kit. With bought in bits coming from well known makers.

The standard sails are not great.

The mainsail needs careful attention to get the boat balanced. In fact the best
Solent thrash I've had in one was with all of the reefs in.

The edge of the coachroof, on all models, is not non slip. In fact it's a leathal skating rink and I've had one crewmember three parts under the guardrail and several others have had painful falls as a result.

The boats are a bit bouncy in a seaway but no more so than most of their competition.

As a commercial package they are very clever. They offer the modern image of a yacht at a price that makes buying secondhand look expensive let alone their competitors new stock.

The low purchase price with so many bunks means that Bavaria yachts can be charter managed and generate a small return. Your lucky to break even with most boats. Charter companies are not finding that exceptional problems of a maintenance or repair nature are leading to boats not working. The punters seem happy to charter them.

If Barvaria improve some of the minor niggles, not only will they use less filler, but they'll cream the opposition into the bargain.

Prepare to get sick of seeing them.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Chris_Robb

Visit site

The car market is already on a replacement basis and has been for years!!! The added crowding of the limited space available probably increases my costs!

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: my twopenneth

i sailed on a BAV 37 last weekend.
I reckon it had an undersized Genny. However having seen how it behaved i am glad. Down wind it seemed to be determined to broach with all rags up and gusting upto around 21 knots. Took genny in and it improved, probably would have been better to reef main and let all genny out but did not try as we reckoned we were doing well enough speed wise.
upwind again very tender. behaved once reefed but you had a real small margin. at no point did it just shoulder in and go faster. everytime it gusted over 25 knots it just heeled over and rounded up.
moral

all the above was concluded over a day sail which saw wind go from about 9 to about 25 knots. boat speed was 6- 9 knots.

you have to have the heavy keel version or really reef a good bit earlier than you would on the more solid yachts.
As with all sailing it is about compromise. Personally i love the thought that i can leave the helm to anyone go below and know wind would have to really accelerate before it got too much. the boat would not however have acres of space or turn on a sixpence. you pays your money and takes your choice. the bav did excel below if space is your destination. excellent fridge,lots of room for kids, parents, visitor and associated kit and refreshments.

thing is you are looking at 50 footer for around 130 grand. you can see why they shift them.
pure conjecture on my part but i reckon alot of the bavs are first boats
(put it this way i know 3 owners 2 are first boats.) so you gets used to what you grew up with. i did all my formative sailing on long keel boats, i am used to how they behave and sort of expect that.
looks like in the future i will be a minority. all boats have a style and have limitations. so long as you operate within that okay
never knock the bav as unsafe. only the guy who takes it out in conditions for which him or the boat are not prepared/designed.

other comments
1. no windlass , would have been nicer as anchor weighed in abig wind and took alpot of pullingout of mud.
2. Main a doddle to raise, a real pleasure i could pull it up single handed in no time.
3. Deck hardware seemed good winches and clutches all nicely to hand.
4. Sprayhood good stong with nice handgrip.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
I reckon boat parking is the big concern.

In the UK at least lots of vested interests will ensure that new moorings/marinas can only grow very slowly. So where do all the boats go? Look for a big increase in dry sailing, maybe.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>