Bavaria 42-16.5K

Wandering Star

Visit site
Keel missing -nothing unusual there then!

No really, without viewing it, I'd say that was a great bargain and if I hadn't just bought a new boat I'd give it serious thought. Wonder what the story is?

Cheers, Brian.

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
I wonder what it would cost to repair something like that?

If the hull is a standard fibreglass layup - no fancy cores or exotic materials - then repairs would probably be quite straightforward. I'll pull a figure out of my bottom and say "five hundred hours". However ... how much work needs done inside to get at the hull? Did all that damage occur with the boat afloat, in which case is any of the interior usable or does it need new woodwork, upholstery, electrics and maybe engine? Will Bavaria sell a new keel (you think they'd be used to it) and rudder?

A quick look at boatshed.com suggests that a 2005 Bavaria 42 in good nick is probably worth 100k or so. My wild guesstimate is that it would take £50k of professional work and materials to get this one back in service, so a significant saving, but not huge.

It would make a lot of sense for someone who had the skills and time to put in the hours himself/herself but ... at the end of that labour of love, you've only got a Bavaria. It would be like spending hundreds of hours restoring a 2005 Ford Mondeo to showroom condition - sure, it can be done, but is the passion there? That's not to knock either Ford Mondeos or 2005 Bavaria 42s, just to recognize that at the commodity end of the market things are generally rather less objects of devotion.

Daydreamer

Visit site
I think this boat has been round for some time, at least acouple of years.
IIRC it was wrecked off the west coast of Scotland and there was some talk of the keel being salvaged or was it the mast.....

Norman_E

Visit site
It is in a scrap yard, which is probably where it belongs. The steering gear has been stolen, and it looks as if the winches are also missing. Given the amount of hull damage, and the fact that there appears to be damage at both bow and stern this appears to have been ashore on rocks and was presumably flooded internally.

The boat name is Alvevez, can anyone remember a report of the wreck, which presumably happened in the Irish Sea to judge by the boat being at Blackpool

Zanziba

Visit site
Spoke to salvage yard... she was de-keeled in Tenerife running aground in shallow water. Theft of steering gear occured there...

He said internals were "Okay" just "Water damage" - engine untested.

Now then... what about I buy it, shift it somewhere and live on it on the ground whilst I get it repaired? I'd be saving a heap on rent which would pay off any loan I got in a few years?

Salvage yard quoted £15k for them to repair.

Spyro

Visit site
I think this boat has been round for some time, at least acouple of years.
IIRC it was wrecked off the west coast of Scotland and there was some talk of the keel being salvaged or was it the mast.....

Are you thinking about the Benneteau that went aground on Horse island? The salvagers had to remove the keel to drag it off the island. As far as I know it's still there

nathanglasgow

Visit site
Having a wee lok through ebay this morning and saw this one is back up for sale.Wonder what condition she is in now.Photos look the same as the ones used 3 years ago.

Sybarite

Visit site
I wonder what it would cost to repair something like that?

The person who sold me my boat bought two Sun Legende 41's which were written off after the 1987 hurricane at Concarneau. His words to me were "GRP is like plasticine. Just strip out the furniture, repair the hull and put the furniture back in again. In one month these boats will be on charter for me."

And they were.

TradewindSailor

Visit site
The trouble is too many people think that it's easy to do a repair.

Another thought. The insurers will know that this boat has been previously written off .... I don't think they would insure it, and anyone unfortunate enough to buy it would soon know it's history. How much would you pay for a boat that has had major repairs to primary structure of dubious quality? ..... not a lot I think!!