Battery replacement

davidgraham

Visit site
Planning to replace 2 x 140 AH flooded lead acid batteries with the biggest AH capacity I can fit in to the available space.
Have seen a 220AH FLA battery by Elecsol which reads well in the brochure, but is a bit light on any detailed information and the company has had some bad press on customer service.
Anyone had experience of these batteries in a marine environment ?

Feedman

Visit site
No, I have no experience of these batteries but many have told me there is no specific need for 'marine' batteries for water-craft.

I buy all my battery requirements via Tanya http://www.tayna.co.uk/ and their Customer Support is excellent, even before you buy!

macd

Visit site
No, I have no experience of these batteries but many have told me there is no specific need for 'marine' batteries for water-craft.

I buy all my battery requirements via Tanya http://www.tayna.co.uk/ and their Customer Support is excellent, even before you buy!

I'd not heard of this lot but see that they supply Trojan deep-cycle batteries (under 'Trojan' tab on the left). Good kit.

rickf

Visit site
deep cycle

I've alwas used trojans up until now, and they have been good batteries
for the price. and the price above is pretty good in today's market.
I've recently switched to Rolls batteries. they seem to be quite good as
far as I can find. I bought them thru Barden and they were very helpful
since they also arranged them to be shipped here to Italy. Trojans
here are 250 eu each. The bardens price is littlehigher but it includes
VAT and shipping in the UK.
rickf

reeac

Visit site
Planning to replace 2 x 140 AH flooded lead acid batteries with the biggest AH capacity I can fit in to the available space.
Have seen a 220AH FLA battery by Elecsol which reads well in the brochure, but is a bit light on any detailed information and the company has had some bad press on customer service.
I fitted two Elecsol leisure batteries in March 2006 and use them both as house and starter batteries. So far they're fine. I give them two 24 hour charge-ups during the Winter [December and April] and find that they need very few amphours to top them up. My impression is that they lose about 5% per month through self discharge but then they're still pretty new.

PeterGibbs

Visit site

Suggestion: you know how heavy 140 amp batteries are - I guess 220 amp are even more difficult. Any scope for having the amph divided through 3 batteries of manageable proportions?

PWG

davidgraham

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies.

A height restriction in the available space eliminates quite a few of the better known battery names.

As we spend several of the summer months on the boat, I am not too worried about the weight as long as we have a reliable supply

Steve_N

Visit site
My Elecsol 125AH has been, and is, very good. But I did have cause to experience the now well-documented appalling customer service and would never buy mail order direct from Elecsol again.

I wanted 2 of them, but after rejecting 2 leaky ones which still languish in my garage and having to deal with 'Mr. Elecsol' (is it a one man band?) I gave up.

Great batteries, awful company.