Battery fluid level

PhilipF

Visit site
Not checked any batteries of mine for many years now - all sealed, so no longer a need. Used to see that the plates were covered though - if not added distilled water.

VicS

Visit site
I aim to fill mine to the point where there is just enough electrolyte above the plates to suck up a hydrometer full. If I want to check the specific gravity I then can. I prefer to not go any higher to minimise the risk of spillage.
Over the top of the plates is all that is required.

jeremyshaw

Visit site
Agree with previous posters, but would add that I think it's better to overfill than underfill. If I am leaving the boat for a while I tend to overfill. Posted a query about that here last year and most people agreed it would not cause problems - nor has it.

Refueler

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Agree with previous posters, but would add that I think it's better to overfill than underfill. If I am leaving the boat for a while I tend to overfill. Posted a query about that here last year and most people agreed it would not cause problems - nor has it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only reservation is that there must be vapour space over top of the fluid ... a) to allow hydrogen gas to escape via the vent system built in, b) to allow for expansion of the fluid due to tempo changes etc.