Battery Cable Question ??

KenMcCulloch

Visit site
I have a single 85Ah battery installed and very limited battery space. I plan to install an additional compact starter battery with a conventional selector switch. For reasons of convenience in making up the cables I plan to use battery cables with end 'lugs' sometimes called stop end terminals, and stud-type battery terminal clamps rather than the screw clamp type. Can anyone with more electrical expertise than I have advise whether there are potential problems or difficulties arising from using that type of cable connection? Am I going to set my boat on fire?

savageseadog

Visit site
You're doing the right thing. Lugs will need to be crimped with a proper crimper. I've only used a mechanical one with long arms but I would imagine the hydraulic ones are better. Soak the ends in duck oil, silicon oil or whatever before crimping

ambientmarine

Visit site
you can also use solder to seal the ends as well, heat the lug over a gas or similar burner using a pair of mole grips as a heat shunt to protect the outer sheath and then feed electrical solder ( the kind with resin built in) into the joint. You'll have a sealed and permanently connected joint for life!