Battery Boxes

Ian_Rob

Visit site
My ER450 batteries are in battery boxes. If I was to upgrade to AGM’s, would they still have to be?
The space lost to the boxes and the space between the boxes makes all the difference as to which AGM’s will fit. Like for like, all AGM’s seem to be slightly longer.

PS. would replacing the 2 x 95Ah with a single 240Ah be out of the question, albeit heavy?

Attachments

• IMG_3270.jpeg
    IMG_3270.jpeg
    441.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

geem

Visit site
Why not just glass the locker your batteries are in so that it becomes one bit battery box? You can have any combination of batteries you want with no risk of acid spill into the bilges. That is how my boat was built.

Ian_Rob

Visit site
Why not just glass the locker your batteries are in so that it becomes one bit battery box? You can have any combination of batteries you want with no risk of acid spill into the bilges. That is how my boat was built.

I have considered this and also making a large removable GRP liner but as AGM batteries are acid free, I was thinking that perhaps there isn’t anything to cause damage……?

Grumpydev

Visit site
I have considered this and also making a large removable GRP liner but as AGM batteries are acid free, I was thinking that perhaps there isn’t anything to cause damage……?

AGM batteries are still lead acid, just not sloshing around with it in liquid form - they can still leak from overcharging or physical damage, but its much less likely than old school lead acid batteries.

Personally I'd keep them in some kind of battery box, but don't see why you couldn't replace the ones you have with something that wastes a bit less space (I have large ones in the engine room that hold multiple batteries in one box)

Ian_Rob

Visit site
AGM batteries are still lead acid, just not sloshing around with it in liquid form - they can still leak from overcharging or physical damage, but its much less likely than old school lead acid batteries.

Personally I'd keep them in some kind of battery box, but don't see why you couldn't replace the ones you have with something that wastes a bit less space (I have large ones in the engine room that hold multiple batteries in one box)
OK, thanks for clarifying that. I am now minded to knock-up a MDF mould, round of the corners with a router and make a liner up in GRP chopped mat.

Last edited: