barnacles

G

does anybody out there know of any products which actullay get rid of barnacles or deters them in the first place, any advise would be appreciated

thanks in advance

billskip

Visit site
Thank you for the PM Billy..Welcome to the forums...there are threads running at the moment ref you question and some suggestions on types of antifoul that is working for them..suggest you have a look thro or wait till a sensible person replies to your post...I shall also watch with intrest...

Bill
www.aegeansailing.co.uk

Chris_Stannard

Visit site
I have used Jotun eroding antifoul, International Optima and Blakes eroding racing antifoul on a Sigma 362 and never had a problem with barnacles. Optima is very good but my present boat has Blakes Titan and that seems good as well. I always put two coats on, with three on the leading edges of the the bow, fin and rudder and just round the waterline.
Don't skimp it. If you do come out half way through the season and you decide on eroding antifoul, do not let the yard pressure wash the hull, you will lose most of the paint.

Chris Stannard

claymore

Visit site
Get rid of existing barnacles by using a scraper then antifoul. They will invariably reappear over the summer but not many of them - not enough to affect your boats performance. They normally appear along the bottom of the keel - probably due to antifoul being rubbed off by the sand/mud/rock as you touch and dry out. They also have a nasty habit of sticking to paddlewheel logs, clogging them up and thus rendering an extremely useful navigation tool temporarily useless.
regards
JS

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site
Or maybe TNT or should that be TBT anyway both should work although the use of either could result in you getting "Banged up". Many recommend two coats is that because its a bit cold in March, keeps the wind off maybe while you anti-foul.
Cheer up it will soon be Spring.
Trevor

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Jotun Sea Guardian (I hope, having today bought 5 litres of the stuff). All Jotun products in the past have worked extremely well, all at low cost.

quaelgeist2

Visit site
VC 17m teflon/copper antifouling has helped me successfully during 3yrs on the Medway. But you need to start from scratch (no pun intended).
It apparently leaves a smooth, slippery surface that doesn't give the barnacles anything to hold on to.

Alternative way of removal: fresh water for a few days, where they let go and drop off soon! Haven't tested it, but friends of mine tried it - actually works.

chris

G

International Micron CS, 3 coats, PLUS a Barnaclean sonic antifouling system with 12 transducers has kept me surprisingly clean for over 15 months IN THE TROPICS. I am re doing the antifouling at the moment, and when the boat came out of the water yesterday, the front two thirds of the bottom had not a single crustacea there, only algae.

On the stern there was fouling of the zinc anodes, the toilet skin fitting and the metal base of the skeg, but only with sea weed and tube worms no barnacles.

ccscott49

Visit site
Whats this barnaclean ultra thingy, please give me some details about this thing? I have heard of ultrasound things before, are they any good?