Barient 24 winch. How does one dismantle it.

nickjones

Visit site
What is at the base of the central spine? No screwdriver would work and I can’t see anything down there in the light of my phone’s torch.
The rubber rings at the top of the two winches have lost their grip - and so have I. Sheeting in has become something of a struggle although the pawls still workIMG_4331.jpeg

srm

Visit site
The rubber ring is not original. Think they are called "Winchers" or something like that. Added to make the winch sort of self tailing. If they are slipping on the flange of the winch I persuaded one to stay put with adhesive flexible sealant.

KevO

Visit site
Allen key machine screw at the bottom of the handle insert socket if I recall correctly. I might be wrong though, it’s been a while.

Boathook

Visit site
The blue ring looks like a barton 'wincher'. The Barton Wincher (Pair) - Barton Marine

The winch itself looks like an early lewmar where the top ring bit is like a spring clip and requires a screwdriver to ease off. The plate then lifts off followed by the barrel. If you are unlucky taking the barrel off allows the pawls and pawl springs to fly everywhere, normally overboard !

nickjones

Visit site
The blue ring looks like a barton 'wincher'. The Barton Wincher (Pair) - Barton Marine

The winch itself looks like an early lewmar where the top ring bit is like a spring clip and requires a screwdriver to ease off. The plate then lifts off followed by the barrel. If you are unlucky taking the barrel off allows the pawls and pawl springs to fly everywhere, normally overboard !
Thanks for the warning. Probably best done off the boat

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
Your photo does seem to show a spiral wound retaining ring sitting on top of the chrome plate bearing the 'Barient 24' logo. It's wound round the central 'socket'. If that's what it is then you need to get a small (electrical) screwdriver into the slot and spring it out bit by bit (spirally).

See here...

srm

Visit site
Flat head screwdriver didn’t appear to work for me
In which case apologies, I may be confusing my past winch memories having had a variety of makes/models on different boats, but never needed an allen key.
Your photo does seem to show a spiral wound retaining ring sitting on top of the chrome plate bearing the 'Barient 24' logo. It's wound round the central 'socket'. If that's what it is then you need to get a small (electrical) screwdriver into the slot and spring it out bit by bit (spirally).

See here...
I have serviced winches with the above as well.

Thanks for the warning. Probably best done off the boat
Unfortunately, you will have to take the drum off to get at the fastenings. Once released lift the drum very slowly with a cloth or such like around the base to catch any bits. I have stripped down and cleaned winches over many years without loosing any springs or pawls, just use an abundance of caution.

Rock Dodger

Visit site
This is a Barlow 25 winch with all its clothes off. Very similar to what you have. Winch drum held in place with an Allen screw. Other smaller winches on board my boat have a slotted screw to hold it all in place. Watch out for the pawl springs when dismantling. I found an old bath towel wrapped around the winch drum when lifting it off was useful as is a cardboard box with a suitably sized hole cut in the bottom. This prevents what someone described as "PingPlopFkt!" as bits fly in all directions never to be seen again.

Attachments

• 20240610_113719[1].jpg
    20240610_113719[1].jpg
    822.7 KB · Views: 3