Bangor - N. ireland to Mallorca - Leaving June 1st Approx - Squadron 58

Hurricane

Visit site
Well done handling the big stuff.
I'm sure you will remember the nice bits as much as the horendous seas.

Sorry we weren't in Torquay to greet you - we are currently in sunny Spain.
No big seas here at te moment.

Good luck with the rest of your trip.

boatlover

Visit site
Thanks H - we are currently in la Coruna... port gearbox coupling has went :-( Volvos guys are flying out Wednesday hopefully... urg.

Appartently its a very common fault in the D12 and its always the port side that goes

jfm

Visit site
DougH, how full/empty is Cala D'Or these days? Would I have much trouble getting a nice berth at the yacht club end for a couple of days in August dya reckon?

DougH

Visit site
Hi John,

The marina is about 75% full, but of course there are not many berths available for your size of boat.

A couple of weeks ago there was a 78 foot San Lorenzo who attempted to moor stern to but the bow lines merely pointed straight down and could not hold the boat away from the quay.

They then put him alongside the pontoon where you were on your last visit.

Suggest you contact the marina in advance as Yann the marina owner is very keen to see more of the larger vessels.

If you can give me some dates I will have a word with the relevent people as I am on the boat from 15th - 26th June.

A 78 footer looks fabulous on that pontoon.

Hope to see you soon

Doug

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
Goodo. Thanks Doug. I'm planning about 8th August but I will advise nearer the time. When the bow lines are vertical due to a too-long boat it's best to attach then to the next set of cleats along the side deck. But that berth I had in 2009, port side to, would be very nice! I'll come back to you if i can sort out my dates asap. Thnaks again for the info

MapisM

Visit site
the bow lines merery pointed straight down and could not hold the boat away from the quay.
Same problem in my marina, for boats above 100' or so.
But even 150 footers can moor stern to, just using the anchor to prevent longitudinal movements and ground lines for crosswinds.
Of course this requires some space available in front of the quay.
But I would have thought that there's enough of it at least in the eastern wall, for what I can remember of the marina layout...?

MapisM

Visit site
When the bow lines are vertical due to a too-long boat it's best to attach then to the next set of cleats along the side deck.
Yep, but with some care. You shouldn't forget those big flappy things you've now got under the hull...
It took a while also for myself to get used to think about them.
With a broken ground line in between, in Marina Hramina (Murter). :eek: