Balsa Sandwich Repairs- Recommendations

lw395

Visit site
I have some damage to balsa/grp sandwich topsides.
Any recommendations of repairers or surveyors would be well received.
Location is Hamble. The boat is not new, I'm looking for a sound job that looks ok and can be relied on rather than a mirror finish no expense spared...
Any professionals or trades out there, a PM would be well received.
Any knowledge of good/bad repair techniques also!

Thanks in advance,
Chris

cliff

Visit site
Some photos of the damage would help - either that or a better description of the actual "problem".

Repairing a balsa cored deck is not exactly "rocket science" but the method does depend largely on the extent, location and type of damage.

I am sure our "Aussie" expert, William, will be along in about 12 hours (when he wakes up) to explain all the intricacies and potential pit falls as he seems to be very knowledgeable on such matters being quite a practical sort with considerable hands on experience of most things "boaty"
--------------------
hammer.thumb.gif
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
sailroom <span style="color:red">The place to auction your previously loved boatie bits</span>

lw395

Visit site
There are a couple of areas where I believe the core has detached after a collision, this has been repaired, but either not well enough or its been hit again. I think someone experienced needs to see the damage and poke/prod/sound with rubber mallet. It's topsides not deck, so the minor distortion is noticed. I'm looking for a proper job from someone who will stand by their work, so reputation and recommendations would be valued.
I want to either sell the boat with a clear conscience or keep it knowing its sound and sorted.
Any good books or web articles on the subject would also be of interest.
Thanks for your input,
Chris

michael_w

Visit site
I'd talk to Hugo Morgan-Harris he found and supervised the repair on my boat. My delamination, was not as serious as yours, just a missed bit of bonding between the hull and the internal moulding.

Fingers crossed for you that there isn't water in the core. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
You could treat by drilling closely spaced holes, not more than 3" centres and not less than 0.5" diameter then ascertain the condition of the cores. Assuming that the core remains sound, although maybe wet, it will be good enough for all areas to be thoroughly dried - deck should be covered while doing this - and drying accelerated by using a hair dryer or similar. When dry each hole in turn should be injected with epoxy resin filler until the filler is seen to emanate from the adjacent hole. When completed, exposed filler should be faired and covered with polythene paper for one or two days to allow for curing. Thereafter deck can be restored with your usual deck paint.